Tuesday 5 April 2022

A little touch of Fantasy colour!

I'm having a lot of fun with these 10mm Warmaster figures for Simon. Today I painted a unit of halberdiers, 36 figures in 6 strips to match those done before. Prepped up last night with matt black before a light dry brush of medium grey to bring out the details these 36 figures were painted over 3 short sessions broken up with cups of tea and lunch breaks - a total of about two and three quarter hours JBM! They still need matt varnishing and I'm looking out for some kind of device for the flags, possibly Renaissance inspired although I'm also going to look at Greek shield designs. I'll also be basing all of these as we go along with all units being of three bases. I still have more Wolf riding Goblins and hand gunners to go on this batch.

A few production shots with some timings.

Matt black base coat with gentle drybrush of medium grey.



Stage 1: 1 hour and 20 minutes, time for a cuppa!


Session 2:  Another 45 minutes and time for lunch, mackerel fillets on toast!



Session 3: About another 45 minutes painting.




And here's a couple of shots of the Knights, again just awaiting some decoration on the flags and banners before varnishing.



6 comments:

  1. Are you going to paint devices on the flags and base them before sending them back to the customer? If so, please treats us to a photo or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, yes indeed, I have a few ideas now for devices for the flags. Simon has supplied all the MDF bases (tablets) for use. The infantry base facing the long side but the cavalry base facing the short side, interesting! I'll get a group shot once all finished before they go.

      Delete
  2. Well they look spiffy dont they! I’ll have to have a go with black undercoat one of these days - those Prussians you did for me came out really nice and I suspect they were done in the same fashion. I realise I’m actually wrong but I was always of the opinion that teeny weeny figures (6/10mm) needed to be as bright as possible and thus in general I’ve always gone with white and blocked everything in on top of that. Way to make the job harder eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello JBM. This post was done to try to show how my speed painting method works and it's results. I try to achieve what I regard as a good wargaming standard when painting for customers, of course I could always go further with detailing but would have to charge more.

      I simply cannot paint over a white or grey base coat these days, as my picking out method is intended to leave a little black shade here and there for depth. A good compromise though is to give them a quick controlled (very) dry brush with mid grey to pick out fine detail which helps life the colours to those areas, as in the top photos. Worth a try?

      Delete
  3. Great looking Empire troops,can't wait to see them based! Pretty much how I paint 28mm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All based in next post Iain! Appreciate your supportive comments here, helps keep me ticking over.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.