Sunday 20 February 2022

More soldiers and new terrain mat on order.

I have been giving the issue of terrain for my 6mm Crimean War games a LOT of thought recently. Do I go for a grid, maybe squares or hexes or a fully textured open board? To be honest as much as I like gridded games I knew that I wanted to get back to open terrain again, and with the decision made to stick with DBN (DBC?) as my go to rules - with a few small tweaks to reflect the changes over the intervening 40 years -  I looked a round for a solution that would not require hours of work. I remembered that 'Norm' had mentioned the Geek Villian textured mats so went and had a look at them. It did not take me long to realise that this was the product for me so I have on order a 6x 4 'Summer Grass' mat that looks to match well with my bright figure bases. The clincher was the fact that the mat is thick enough to place hills BENEATH it, and I think my various S&A Scenics hills will work well with this. I have long had an issue with freestanding hills as they never look natural and of course I could form larger hills from layers of foamboard should I require a specific shaped hill. My games will be played on the 5 x 3 dining table which is just the right size for my planned games. So everything is slowly starting to come together at last and I'm actually really looking forward to getting started. I don't have any plans to do any other projects or periods but will continue to enjoy adding further bases to what is now a fair sized collection.

The mat is due to arrive tomorrow so I will take the opportunity to get some photos of the Crimean stuff so far on it in the order of battle I have in mind. I'm really pleased with the mass effect of the bases, it's just what I was looking for. So far I have painted:

Russian.
9 bases of line infantry (including 1 Greek) 72 figures per base
2 bases of skirmishing infantry  18 figures per base.
3 bases of cavalry 24 figures per base
2 artillery 2 guns and li8mbers per base
command base.

Allied.
6 bases of British infantry (including Guards and Highlanders that comprised the 1st Division)
3 bases of French infantry
2 bases of skirmishers 1 British rifles and 1 French 
4 bases of cavalry 3 British and 1 French (The French is being expanded today to 1 Light and 1 heavy)
2 artillery bases 4 guns.
Combined command base.

With 18 bases of infantry comprising 36 x 36 figure battalions I'm getting closer to my target of 24 infantry bases plus skirmishers.

I have on order from Irregular Miniatures two of the 'Crimean Camp sets' bell tents, huts, supply wagons, flag poles etc which should make a couple of nice baggage bases.

Below: More of those pesky Russians! The red flags I'm using to mark Guards, Green being line.



More figures for John.
A few shots of this weeks output. I'll be getting this lot in the post tomorrow (including the Minarions featured in last weeks post of course), and for the week ahead it's a couple of Les Higgins 20mm battalions for Tony then more ECW's for Graham the following week. I also have a new customer who has asked me to paint 10mm Fantasy armies for him and this project will sit nicely beside what I have in hand filling in any gaps. I was quite keen to do this project as it offered variety from the historical stuff and a fresh challenge. Some may recall the contribution I painted towards James' (Mad Tin Hatter) 'For Joshua' charity project (HERE), and these are very much in the same line so looking forward to it.

First off, Col. Richards Regiment (British in Catalonia). 23 Strelet plastic figures, mounted officer is Les Higgins. Cast on flags hand painted to match the reference sheet.








          Below: Higher Command figures (Minifigs) the white coated figure is an artillery General.



                         Below: Catalonian Cuirassier Regiment Aragon (Les Higgins). 12 cavalry.





Below: French Dragoons Le Roi, trumpeter in Royal Livery.



Below:  Catalonian artillery crew with mounted commander. (Warrior and Lancer crew). Figure at rear is a standard bearer for La Maine infantry (unknown make).





9 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using the flag colour in your 6mil Crimean Russians to denote quality. Also, interested to see how well the new battlemat lies over hills placed underneath - do please do take some photos when it arrives as creases in this scale could be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, I'm quite excited about the new mat and I will get plenty of photos of it! Being 6mm scale I think the hills beneath the cloth will work crease free, it's not a printed cloth but a fleece mat. Using foamboad formers beneath I can create almost any shape and size of hill I require. I'll be cutting some trial foamboard hills this morning ready for when the mat arrives. Must tidy up those red Russian flags looking at those close ups again. I believe red was used for second or third battalions (?) so it's not a major leap to use them to denote Guard units.

      Delete
  2. You must spend every waking moment at that painting desk! I’ve done four figures in a week - and that’s good, for me. Lovely quality work as usual - and ye gods that 6mm army has grown. Never seen those textured mats before, they look nice, should match your bases well as you say. I’ll be keen to see it all in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four painted figures in a week JBM, come on Man what's wrong with you, you got a life or something! Seriously though I do spend a lot of hours at the desk, probably too many, but when I decided to do this I wanted it to be on a disciplined and committed basis so I'm now a 10am till 4pm man Monday to Friday and when I get home from work I get to do a little for myself :) It's all a bit mad, the other day I phoned my wife who was in the kitchen to tell her I was leaving the office, oh yes it's a laugh a minute here in model soldier world :)

      Delete
    2. Brilliant. Hope the traffic wasn’t too bad on the commute!

      Delete
  3. Lee, I am sure that you will really like the Geek Villain mat. As for putting hills underneath, the fleece is extremely forgiving and gives a nice hill effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what I thought Norm and I'm here waiting for the postman today like an excited child!

      Delete
  4. Lee,
    I have a few Geek villain mats and they are top class and look good. Likewise your Crimean war project is looking good and I love the idea of the different coloured flags for line and guard in the Russians.The 20mm pieces you’ve finished look superb and my next batch of figures will be in the post this week 😁 doing some fantasy figures ? Well there’s and idea for some future orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear Graham. I'm just happy painting at the moment and enjoying doing what I do, the Crimean project is an excellent side project as it's not over time consuming and very rewarding. Appreciate your custom and support of course, as for Fantasy how many projects can one man have on the go :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.