Tuesday 22 February 2022

Another short video featuring the new terrain mat with deployed Russians!

The new mat arrived yesterday from Geek Villain, so I wasted no time in laying out to see how well it works with my basing style, pretty well spot on I'd say! Quick video which saves a lot of typing (once again please excuse my mumbling, I must work on this). Needs a good iron as you can see but it's fully washable and a great quality product which I would highly recommend and a big improvement in my opinion over the printed cloths I had previously because it's thick enough to lay over hills without creasing, especially in 6mm scale. I plan to make some more larger realistic hills. Woods need improving and I might buy some of the S&A Scenics small trees to replace the clump foliage you see here. The video gives a good impression of how I want the armies to look when when deployed in Divisions I think with the big battalions giving a quite realistic effect.


Latest off the desk is the French heavy cavalry base below consisting of Dragoons and Cuirassiers - a nice splash of Napoleonic like colour in the Crimea. French light base almost finished.





7 comments:

  1. Looking good Lee. From memory, I just left the mat out in a warm room for a day and the creases dropped out after my first game. I like the map colour and textures, which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really very pleased with the product Norm. I had a good look before going for the Summer Grass mat and it's a good match to my bases. I'm keen to play a game on it now.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I thought it was going to be furry for some reason. The mat that is! Very nice. Great match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBM, it is slightly furry! Its a fleece not a printed cloth so has some texture which is the bit I like.

      Delete
  3. That's a great match to your figure bases! The hill looks good to but the obvious issue will be exactly where it starts/ends, but as you're solo-gaming that's not an issue. Looking at your lovely Russian army it did strike me that they all seem to be in lines - for me the quintessential Russian infantry formation was a column. Could you fit a column of your basing system - perhaps two side by side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, yes it's a pretty good match. The video does not really capture the edges of the hills beneath the fleece but it's pretty visible in the flesh. I had given thought to making some Russian bases in columns. When placed 2 or 3 bases in column it's a pretty good look though just not closed up enough. I have no plans for any other period/project so I can see some column bases on the cards in time.

      Delete
  4. Lee,
    knew you’d be happy with the mat and I found the creases just drop out. Video is good and the cloth is a really good match. The whole set up is looking really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.