Sunday 27 February 2022

Laid up for a few days.

A quick update this week chaps. Last Thursday morning I was out and about with Poppy the dog as usual in the morning. By late afternoon I started to feel a bit unwell and then suddenly started to tremble, my body and hands shaking uncontrollably, (don't worry Tony I didn't have a brush in my hands at the time). Following orders from my wife I took myself off to bed where I shivered under the duvet for some time not knowing what was happening. Next morning I woke up with a very red and swollen left lower leg and the upshot is that I'm now on a course of strong antibiotics for Cellulitis. Quite painful initially, things are now gradually settling down but there is clearly a fierce battle going on at subcutaneous level between the bacteria and the penicillin.

As a result I have taken several days break from the painting desk - although I plan to be back from Monday-  so am a few days behind with my commission schedule. Meantime I have been looking around the numerous FB groups based on the smaller scales and small space concept and found it really quite inspiring. I'll be adding James Fergusons excellent blog to links at right, as his 6mm DBN Peninsular War battle really caught my eye, something about the colourful troops and the quite sparse terrain made for a highly entertaining game and I must admit it did have me thinking about the possibility of a couple of 6mm DBN armies like these once my Crimeans have reached the logical conclusion.

Blog Link.

On the subject of blogs my new customer Simon sent me the link to his, the wonderfully titled 'Warfare in the Middle Aged', talk about a wide variety of interests!

Blog Link. 

I have a couple of initial units of 10mm fantasy figures to paint for Simon in order to show him what I can do, and these are some amazing sculpts by Warmaster yet another company I had not heard of before! Really looking forward to painting these as I can have some fun. 






16 comments:

  1. Hope you make a fast recovery from the Cellulitis, but please keep an eye on it to make sure it is improving. I had it and it got worse and the antibiotics got stronger. I ended up in hospital on a 24 hour intravenous drip, which they had to stop in the end because my white cells (I think) had bombed due to the battering effects of a lengthy and increasingly heavy antibiotic course. It turned out OK in the end.

    Going forwards, you may have to think about breaking up any long spells at the painting table. The blood flow can become sluggish in the legs from lengthy sitting, leading to phlebitis and going on to cellulitis. Movement and proper fluids seems to be the advice to ward it all off. Also when watching telly, get up when the adverts come on. You might want to stop short of gymnastics and cartwheels :-)

    Off now to look at Simons blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that Norm. I'm keeping a very close eye on things, not a pretty sight at the moment but I'm confident there is some improvement. What a job trying to get through to my GP, in the phone Queue spot on 8am, reserved a call back and of course no appointments left. can I get a telephone call back from my GP then please? Hold on why I check the hub ( hub?) Ok call back Sunday afternoon 3.30pm (this was early Friday), but my leg is very swollen and sore I'm worried about it getting worse, surely there must be something sooner? OK, so I need to call 111 if I'm worried. At this point my wife took the phone off me and very politely but firmly insisted on a same day call back! I had to send over 3 photos and the surgery Paramedic would call back in a few hours which she did and the antibiotics were at the local Chemist within minutes along with some sound advice about the condition. What on Earth is happening to our GP services? Sorry Norm, had to get that off my chest, no wonder A&E is so overwhelmed. I had been concerned about the time spent sitting in one position and had already been planning to up the exercise regimen with more walking. All the best, Lee. Oh, and those little 10mm's are lovely aren't they!

      Delete
  2. EDIT - Lee, can’t find that blog! Google has failed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘Lee,

    Your conditions sounds very painful, but hopefully you will recover quickly and soon be back on your feet … quite literally!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob. Firstly I do hope you are recovering from that recent bout of Covid? Cellulitis can certainly be painful but it's eased over last couple of days and certainly since starting the antibiotics. It's quite a shock to see one's lower leg turn dark red! I'll betaknig great care going forward.

      Cheers,

      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Crikey crumbs and all that. Get well soon 'Lee.
    Best wishes
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief - this sounds horrible. I had to look up cellulitis to see what it was - very nasty. I hope you get sorted out very quickly and get back to full fighting form. Courage, mon brave - I must also mention that as soon as I start to look at medical stuff on line I find I probably have it all, just never realised. [Cyberchondria?] Take care, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most unexpected I must say Tony, calf like a weightlifter on steroids, hard to the touch. Strong antibiotics which I'm hoping will sort it otherwise I'll be at A&E at weekend :(

      Delete
  6. I don’t know, I turn my back on the blogosphere for five minutes and you come down all sick. Sort yourself out man, my shares in Vallejo paints have halved in value since you stopped painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters were not too impressed when they saw it JBM, urged me straight up to A&E said 'Dad, do you want to lose your leg?' I mean, what sort of question is that! Fingers crossed mate the antibiotics do their stuff. Dog's not too impressed with me either :)

      Delete
  7. "Ring 111" thats obviously different from 111 in New Zealand, where it would connect you to Fire Police or Ambulance - (999 in UK parlance - and interestingly, old rotary dial phones here have the numbers reversed, so the physical position of the 1 is the same as the 9 in Britain!)The very miniature miniatures in the two pics are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi rross, interesting that, have not seen a rotary dial phone for years. The 111 service here is intended as a kind of advice line if you are worried about a medical issue but would not regard it as emergency requiring a trip to A&E, although often it can lead to being sent to A&E. Our dear old NHS is under great strain and the wait to see a clinician at A&E can be many hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee,
    That’s not good, recover soon. My ‘fitwatch’ gives me a nudge when I’ve been sitting too long 🤣 but to be fair I do make the effort to go get up and move around every hour or so on the rare occasions I get the day to myself .
    The war master figures are/were excellent I had half a dozen of the GW armies and sold them all a few years ago.looking forward to seeing what you do with these I know you will enjoy painting them.
    More 6mm projects ? Be careful you may end up dabbling in more periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, slowly getting there, Kind of came out of the blue but I have plans to work in my general fitness going forward. I used to be very fit when younger, club and commuter cyclist, running, weights etc but have neglected myself a bit last couple of years, especially with lockdown etc. Hope to get some painting in today, did a bit of 6mm basing yesterday but was about as much as I could manage.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.