Saturday 5 March 2022

Back on my feet again & Crimean Brits!

 A week on and the wonders of antibiotics have worked their magic, my leg is pretty much returned to normal, the pain is gone and the foot far less yeti like! Must confess it had me worried for a while, the speed with which it appeared took me by surprise but I have learned more about the condition and several people have described their experience of it, including the wife of a friend who apparently caught it from a hotel swimming pool on holiday in Greece.  Anyway, I'm going to be getting out for more walks now and taking greater care of my legs.

That said some limited soldier painting has taken place as I continue to work on the two battalions of French WSS foot for Tony and tinker a bit with 6mm stuff. I have been very keen to get my Anglo French Crimean army sorted out for a parade in order to see how the organisation for DBN (DBC?) works.

I'm trying to work out how best to represent the Elite British Light Division and will be adding some horse artillery with 6 horse limber teams. I'll also be adding Turks and Sardinians and of course expanding the Russians. Another job is to make small wood bases using the method described recently on Norms excellent blog

Below: French 1st Infantry Division (General Canrobert) Line, Zouaves and Chasseurs.


French cavalry (Forey) Cuirassiers, Dragoons, Chasseurs & Hussars.




Below: British 2nd Infantry Division (Sir George De Lacey Evans) 2 Brigades plus 95th rifles.


Below: Form line!



Below: British cavalry, the Light and heavy brigades.



Below: British 1st Division (HRH The Duke of Cambridge) Brigade of Guards and the Highland Brigade.



British artillery.



The complete Anglo French army so far.





10 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! What figures are you using for this particular project again, please? The Crimea has always been a favorite period, but I have never actually moved forward with it myself.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    P.S.

    Happy your leg is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stokes, thank you for the kind comments. The Crimea was something I had in mind for many years, but only when I saw the Irregular Miniatures 6mm range did I see the potential. As raw castings they can look somewhat rough but they paint up very well indeed.

      All the best,
      Lee.

      Delete
  2. Great to hear your well on the mend. That British division looks really convincing - can't wait to see them all lined up and ready to cross the Alma - you do have a river don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Yes, I have some lovely S&A Scenics river sections and I'm sure in time my boys will be splashing across the Alma with bunches of grapes in their mouths as described. Going to add an edit to the post as I have had further thoughts re organisation overnight!

      Delete
  3. Truly superb! Great colors and spectacular mass effect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, the mass impact was just what I was looking for in this scale :)

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear your leg is better. It is a good idea to do some regular walking, it is not only good for both your mental and general health, and it just makes you feel better. Don't take on too much to start with. Far better to do half an hour daily than try to do ten miles.

      We all take our health for granted when we are younger. But as you get older you have to work at it a little harder. In my opinion regular gentle walking is by far the best type of exercise.

      Your 6mm army is looking very impressive. Good to see you back in the routine again

      regards

      Paul

      Delete
    3. Hello Paul ,very good to hear from you and thank you for your excellent advice. I do indeed to take up more walking. I used to keep very fit when a younger man, daily cycling, time trialling, running, weights etc but as you say as one gets older that can easily slip away. I don't think the last two yours of Pandemic has helped at all. I still follow your walking posts on FB, you are clearly a fitter man than I am and somewhat older!

      Hope you manage to sell those lovely AB's, I'm confident there is a buyer out there for them.

      Regards,

      Lee.

      Delete
  4. The splashes of red, especially due to your preference to gloss paint, look absolutely eye-catching. Thanks for the blog shout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. I have learned with 6mm to always go one shade brighter. It's actually satin varnish on this lot :)

      I'm going to making some tree bases this week using your method so thank you and I'll put some pics up when finished.

      Cheers,

      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.