Monday 19 December 2022

Seasons Greetings, dodgy Achaemenid Persians and that elephant!

Firstly I want to send Seasons Greetings to those who follow my little blog and especially to those who have supported my painting service over recent years (or decade in Old John and Tony's case). 

I do hope to get a little actual wargaming content on here soon now that I am close to finishing my first couple of DBA armies, our youngest son in law has expressed an interest in historical gaming (he's a Warhammer player), so plan is to suggest a learning game together over the festive break. 

I think any future DBA armies will be possibly Xyston Miniatures as I have to say I have not been overwhelmed by by the Essex figures sadly. The late Persian ready made army contained quite a number of figures that were not at all suitable for the period so had to be consigned to the spares drawer. but at least I managed to get a basic 12 element force from what was there. I will need to add more spears as options. So, sufficient to get started with at least! I quite like the Essex elephant though and thoroughly enjoyed painting it although it's not useful for fighting the Achaemenid Persians. Next up I need to paint some Hoplites, possibly Spartans and Athenians using those fine LittleBigMan studios full colour transfers.

Cheers for now, have a good one and see you in the New Year.






16 comments:

  1. The nellie looks grand - enjoy the Christmas break with DBA - Best Wishes, Norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. Looking forward to more adventures from Piggy Longton next year :)

      Delete
  2. Lee - yes, the elephant does indeed look grand. And the Persian cavalrymen also look great - nice ‘n’ colourful.
    You can always watch some of Tony Aguilar’s YouTube videos for DBA inspiration - and a few tactical tips never do any harm neither.
    Enjoy the festive break. I have 2mm armies to prep 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, Tony's videos are very entertaining, DBA played in a great spirit of friendship. I'm listening to loads as I paint :)
      All the best,
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Colorful and superb elephant and cavalry, well done and happy end of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That elephant is beautiful. Happy holidays and I hope you get some gaming in. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John Y and seasons Greetings to you too :)
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Take it easy on the newbie mate and have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM. He's had my Bolt Action rule book for a few weeks and is very tempted to place an order. He commented on my Macedonian phalanx the other day, knew what they were too, a good start for the lad :) Have a good one mate.
      Lee.

      Delete
  6. Grand looking Nellie, Lee! Have a great Xmas and New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, and you have a great holiday too. Was very tempted to order some of that lovely Winter Porter the other day Ray, sounded delicious for this time of year :) I used to love the old Adnams Winter Warmer but have to be careful these days with the diabetes.
      Lee.

      Delete
  7. great looking figures , i too love the elephant, best Xmas wishes to you and all family, cheers Old John (it's been decades !! painting for me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to your good self John and Cynthia , and thank you for all your support as usual.
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  8. Have a great Christmas, the elephant and the Persians look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Iain, and all the best to you :)
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.