Wednesday 28 December 2022

Persian Diversion!

My little Ancient diversion continues with the completion of the first two ready made armies from Essex, A few quick comments on each, references to DBA2.2:

Later Achaemenid Persians 420BC- 329BC Book II/7. 1xLC (General), 2x3 Cav. 2x2LH, 1xSCh, 2x2Ps. 4x3Ax. Just squeezed this army from the Essex set after ditching all the useless early 'Violin' shield 'Immortal' style figures, about 16 useless figures but still! I confess I still have not yet got a grip on painting those Persian colours and designs so what we see is just an impression but I'm looking into shield designs. It's been great fun though and something very different for me. Of course most DBN armies contain options so I'll be adding 4 bases of 4x'Sp' (spears) by way of mercenary Hoplites to replace the 4 x3 Auxilia and give the Persians a bit more oomph! I'm also painting the 'Cav/General' 3 cavalry as an option to the light chariot General simply because the mounted General figure is just packed with character.

Alexandrian Macedonian 355BC - 320BC. Book II/12. I can call these done! 1x3Kn (General), 1x3 Cav, 1x2LH, 1x4Ax, 6x4 Pk. 1x2 Ps. 1xArt. Plus options. Phalangite shield transfers by LittleBigMan studios, might try to add an outer bronze ring but otherwise ready to play.

Macedonian Early Successor 320-260BC  Book II/18.  By swapping out the artillery element for the elephant I can field several of these armies from what I have. I rather fancy myself as Ptolemy Keraunos (280-279BC) as I get to command the army from the elephant! 

All great fun with so much potential going forward. I know that I will be adding an Hoplite army next but before that I want to play around with the 'camp' element for the above.

A big thanks to Geoff for his help in sorting out the Persians especially!


Have I got those Dolphins upside down?


3 comments:

  1. Lovely. Especially like the shields. Not sure they need an outer bronze ring imho. Merry Chrimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Lee. As you’ve mentioned, many of the elements can be used in other forces. Or, with a few extra elements, you can morph into other armies - always useful. The Persians should be good for generic “easterners”.
    I hope you had a good Christmas and here’s hoping ‘23 is even better 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb colors on these Persians units, cracking job Lee!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.