Tuesday 13 December 2022

Commission photos and DBA.

As promised here are the completed five regiments and horse battery that comprise the Epic Guard cavalry commission for Tony2 that I finished off basing yesterday, a most stirring sight. These along with the Prussians so far will be heading off in the New Year.








I have finished off the Confederate Brigade box for Noel. Noel agreed that the Rebs look more historically accurate with just the single classic battle flag so one standard pole was cut down to a rifle which works quite well. Another Union Brigade box will be heading my way next. I must say that I really enjoy painting the Epic ACW's, the figures are very animated and give a real sense of movement. I would imagine that if Warlord were designing these now they would have fixed bayonets like the Napoleonics but no matter, they look good to me.







As time seems to be flying past I'll be starting on the December batch of 300 Rebs for Chris next but painting them alongside the Peter Pig EWC's for Graham which should see me comfortably through to Christmas.

Meantime I have continued to paint some Ancients for myself with the Macedonian army completed except for the Elephant.  DBA v2 has  certainly helped clarify the composition of the armies and a big thanks to Geoff who has been helping me out with his knowledge of DBA and ancient armies. I have to say that the Essex Miniatures ready made Late Persians has caused me a few issues as the first eight figures I painted were early Immortals and have no place in this army! I have consigned the 16 figures with the older 'violin' shields to the spares draw and can just about still make up 12 elements from what's left although I plan to add a couple of bases of mercenary hoplites as options. I could not resist painting the Generals light 2 horse chariot. Once the new shield transfers arrive from Littlebigman studios I will replace all of the Phalangite transfers with better quality ones.




 have also now tracked down the correct threads for rigging my two Napoleonic Langton ships thanks to my wife. I hope to get started on this in the week. Graham C very kindly sent me a copy of the hardback rule book 'Blood, Bilge and iron Balls. which I have been reading through alongside researching the subject of Napoleonic Naval warfare in general.


4 comments:

  1. WOW what a truly outstanding rate of painting, well done mate, amazingly impressive, i wish i could paint figures as fast, best i ever did many years back was about 600 ACW lads in a week and 300 WSS cavalry for Blenhiem game in 5 days, luckily my dear wife painted the horses!!! love the Ancient lads, again congrats on turn out , cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I think I'm starting to get the hang of the Epic strips now! But 600 Rebs in a week has me beat :)

      Delete
  2. You really are cranking the painted/based figures out at a rate of knots Lee. Well done, as ever. 👏👏
    Your (later Achaemenid) Persian chariots look great. The General in his 2 horse chariot is a fine, imposing figure indeed - but the 4 horse scythed chariot? That’s simply WOW!!! I should hate to be standing on the battlefield when that beggar comes chargin’ toward me. 🫣
    Good luck with your painting. My latest 2mm order from Irregular Miniatures is presently in the mail (delayed by strikes, but what the heck…) and so, with any luck, early in ‘23 there should be another couple of armies heading over to you to paint. As ever, small figures + (relatively) small number of bases = “a mere diversion” to the man who wields the paintbrush. 👍
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Geoff, your help has been invaluable. I'm struggling to get a grip on the Persian costume, looking at so many images but my General looks to me like he's wearing a Christmas jumper that's been knitted for him! I might take a break now the Elephant is painted and get started on some of those very tiny Romans as I'm itching to see what they will look like en masse.
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.