Friday 16 September 2022

Another busy week gone by!

Monday/Tuesday saw me painting a unit of 20mm French Dragoons for Tony, mounted and on foot. Really enjoyed doing these, the brief was for the troopers coats to be a duller red than usual with the officers resplendent in scarlet. We settled on Vallejo 'Red' (!) as being the most suitable from my range. The officers are the usual Irregular Miniatures command figures but Tony gave them stocking caps to match the troopers by adding plastic Strelets hats to them, a rather neat little conversion that works very well. Horses are the correct smaller mounts for Dragoons (see illustration). 










Wednesday/Thursday I painted another 80 figure Epic British Napoleonic battalion. This and the previous one will be shipping off to the US on Tuesday. I'm having a three day break to do some painting for myself - more Epics - and then on Monday I'll be starting on the Epic Guard cavalry regiments, 20 figure units of all the Guard cavalry releases plus the Guard Horse artillery battery of 3 guns and crews, these are for my new customer - another Tony - and I'm very much looking forward to painting these. I'll review and post images of these as things progress but if you have not already seen these lovely little figures Stuart Mack of Miniature Realms has put up a detailed review on his channel.

160 Epic British, you begin to see the attraction of the large battalions. (Just need to blow off some of the static grass!).





I had been looking for a solution to the additional command bases that will be required for the Epic commission when we get onto the infantry as Tony requested 40 figure battalions on half sized bases (30 x 20mm). After  a few questions on the Epic FB group the old Chariot Miniatures range was suggested as being suitable so I ordered a couple of sample packs and I'm pleased to say that they are a pretty good fit (see images) they are slender sculpts and about the right height, I'll be painting a test 10 figure base later today to see how they will look. 



   Below: Stuarts review of the new Epic Guard cavalry figures, made in the warlord resin Silocast.



4 comments:

  1. Very interested to see the cav Vs Dragoon comparison - you are the tops at painting British Epic, especially at the pace you work at. Mine still hide in the box! Though the French are on painting sticks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! I have a set method for painting the British strips now which is quite fast. I was also surprised at how small the Dragoon nags were, but then I guess only ever a means of transportation really.

      Delete
  2. At the speed you paint Lee you’ll soon be able to fill an entire tabletop battlefield with figures… Well done 👏👏
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Geoff. Most of what I paint heads of to others of course who actually USE them!
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.