Thursday 8 September 2022

An Epic commission & some Battlescale 10mm buildings.

It looks like these are going to come in very handy!

Can't beat a good Osprey!

Last week I asked Stuart Mack commission painter extraordinaire, (Miniature Realms), and admin of the Facebook Warlord Epic Napoleonic group if I was OK to post a link to my painting service which he happily agreed to. As a direct result of this I now have an exciting new commission to paint the entire Prussian army starter package, the Old and Middle Guard sets, the Highland Brigade and the entire French Guard cavalry set plus the Guard Horse Artillery. This will certainly keep me busy over the coming months and will fit nicely around my ongoing commission work for John, Graham and Tony, it is just what I had hoped for. Stuarts YouTube channel is well worth checking out for painting tutorials and Vlog projects including Epic Napoleonic/ACW, Bolt Action, Flames of War and much more. The quality of his work is stunning and the fact that he is fully booked up until June 2023 speaks volumes.

In other news

I'm painting more WSS Garde du Corps this week for John to finish off the 4 companies, 44 cavalry plus 4 mounted commanders. I have some more WSS French Dragoons to paint for Tony next week.

On Friday morning I'm planning a solo game of DBN, just the 12 points per side in order to improve my knowledge of the rules so I decided to produce a couple more villages (Non Linear Fortifications in DBN terms), using some lovely Battlescale 10mm buildings. The bases are designed to hold a single base when occupied. You see them below with one village occupied by my latest paint job, a base of Nassau infantry, a simple paint conversion from the French infantry sprue and I might add another in due course.





Edited to add latest photos for John, 2 more companies of Garde du Corps just finished. Strelets plastic figures on metal horses.













8 comments:

  1. Now your painting service is blooming perhaps you can claim your Osprey’s etc as a “business expense”? 😉😂 The Nassau troops are, as I expected, lovely - and a nice colourful change. The terrain is impressive too - I’d rather be safe, defending behind the village walls than having to assault it.
    Good luck with tomorrows solo game. I’m sure you will be victorious 😂 although which “you” this will be I don’t know. Will you be filming the game to put on your YouTube channel?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Geoff. Somewhere along the way, probably about 7 years ago or so, I lost my passion for wargaming but the enjoyment I get from taking a pile of bare metal (or plastic) and turning them into well painted colourful soldiers has never left me. it just made sense to paint for other gamers :) Even this morning I'm not sure I can be bothered to get all the stuff out for a game!

      Delete
  2. Good news on the commission, that is a goodly army for the client, who seemingly has invested in the three current armies. Enjoy your DBN day, the buildings look just the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, yes the client has gone big time on the Napoleonic Epics and I will be adding to them with this lot. I'm happy as was at the point where it was kind of pointless painting more for myself.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee

    Well done on your latest commission. For us lesser mortals that would be a major project for a year or so! Really pleased to see your painting business expanding so well.

    I have not painted any figures since we retired, and moved to Spain,l in 2006. But when I did it really upset me to part with any. Over a long period I did sell of whole armies to replace them with newer and better figures. But I always felt a little sad to do so.

    I know that you really enjoy painting, as indeed did I. And I also appreciate the difficulty if you are not also painting to wargame with the figures. So painting commissions is an obvious answer. I know that you get your satisfaction out of the actual painting work, and seeing the finished product. Plus the appreciation of those who commission the work. But I would still feel sad when they went off to their new owners.

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paul, good to hear from you and I'm still following your wonderful walks in Spain with Jan :)

      I do remember your early minifigs Napoleonics and the wargame magazine article with the photos of the large units. Its strange how I have little or no interest in tabletop wargaming any longer but really enjoy painting soldiers. I think what I enjoy is the fact that they will all be put to good use by others and not just languish in storage boxes. Certainly keeps me busy, I never get bored!

      All the best and regards to Jan,

      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Lee, really pleased about the commission that will certainly occupy you.😁 the buildings look really impressive and I have quite a few pieces of these and when mounted like you have work really well.
    I like the Nassau very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, can't beat that Nassau uniform can you? Got to have the off white shako covers although I was reading the other day that they were ordered to remove them at waterloo is they were drawing a heavy French fire!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.