Thursday 21 July 2022

Lizards, Goblins and cigar box ancient armies!

I'm so glad to see the back of the high temperatures, Monday and Tuesday were just insane down here in Kent, the paint was drying in the bristles almost as soon as it touched them! Warm water and soap combined with the trusty wet palette did at least allow me to still get a bit of painting done with no harm done to my precious brushes.

This week I have been working on 4 units each of three bases of Fantasy figures for Simon, this time it's the nasties which makes a nice change. We have a unit of close order Lizards, two units of loose order lizards and a unit of Goblins riding huge boars! I was unsure as to how best to approach these until my Son in Law sent me a photo of his pet Water Dragon by way of inspiration. Today I'll be painting the last 24 of them and then get started on the basing this afternoon.









Excuse me, what's all this about Lizards then?

Cigar box armies in 2mm scale. 

I finally found time to open up Geoff's little cigar box package today and what a delight it is. We had discussed the project in some detail and Geoff made a point of  carefully labelling every base type as you can see which really helps me to understand exactly what is what. The presentation is perfect for me to base coat and paint on the cards as they stand as I find when painting detail in 2mm scale I prefer to have the strips on a flat surface so that I can use both hands, one to hold the brush (of course!) and the other as a kind of 'rest' to steady and guide if that makes sense. It's very much the same technique I have always used on 6mm or smaller scales for  fine detail work. I'm excited to see just what I can do with these and it may open up a new line of commission work, who knows? photos of the painted armies should appear in the next update.



 Epic progress.

I continue to add bases to the Epics and I plan to have a run through of DBN at the weekend with them. I'm now padding out the infantry with further bases and have added a Dutch base using French line infantry strips to differentiate them from my Belgians. There are lots of very clever conversions going on at the Epic FB Group that I intend to try as things progress. I want to keep with the warlord figures as much as possible although I am planning some Peter Pig head swaps for some conversions. The one thing I do want is a base of skirmishing 95th rifles so I have the choice of buying a Highlander sprue where they include 8 Rifles or consider resin printed rifles via Etsy. Recently announced are the lovely mounted Personality sets which look great and the French Guard cavalry set so there is much to look forward to. 

I was listening to an Epic related Vlog a couple of days back where Stuart (Miniature Realms) stated that the production and tooling costs of the plastic sprues came in around £20,000 per sprue, a figure I found quite staggering, (and I actually rewound to ensure I had heard it correctly!), and given the number of releases so far obviously represents a very serious investment on the part of Warlord. I don't generally keep my ear to the ground on these things but would love to know if this figure can be substantiated? Good on Warlord I say because I love these figures. 

15 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff as usual but I have to ask…what the hell is a water dragon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fancy one as a pet then JBM? That is actually my Son In Laws pride and joy right there, he's a Chinese Water Dragon and now about a foot long (they can grow to 3'!) He lives in a bloody great custom built cabinet in the lounge. My Daughter is really not keen on him but the Grandchildren love him. Personally I'm a dog and cat man but have to admit he has a certain charm.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Very exotic. Think I’ll stick to my cat, thanks. Erm, not actually stick to my cat cos that’d just be wrong, but you know what I mean.

      Delete
    3. I'm told he likes a stroke and tickle under under the chin JBM.

      Delete
    4. I just assumed he was a Soup Dragon who had fallen on hard times. Impressive, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Lee, all looks very good and the change painting fantasy must be a pleasant change for you.
    Yes the figure Stuart mentioned is about right, I had a long conversation with Colin Romford when he released his plastic 20mm WWII and with a number of other producers when I fleetingly considered doing the plastic Seven Years War. The upfront costs of plastics is horrendous the majority of that money going on the tooling costs of making the mould. Obviously production costs once made are very low and if looked after the mould is pretty indestructible and will last almost forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised me Graham I must say as I had always thought that releasing plastic ranges was cheaper than metal! I'll continue to support them, just ordered three more sprues another each of French and British and the Highland sprue as I need another Highlander base and I really wanted the rifles, I'll make a single base of the 8 skirmishers. I will also be buying the Guard cavalry and personality sets down the line no doubt.

      Cheers,

      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Those lizards turned out well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, great fun to paint too.

      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Yep, the hot weather was not wargamer friendly, I lost a paint brush!

    I had heard that a small sprue is between 15k and 20k, so that sounds right. I know of someone doing a plastic range that has not turned a profit yet and that range is fairly established. It does show the importance of having companies within the community that are big enough to bankroll such development and production, despite the criticism that too often and unfairly seem to attract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norm, always good to hear from you and I'm still enjoying your blog posts.

      Came as a bit of a shock to me that figure, I had heard that plastic tooling was expensive but wow! The figures actually represent fantastic value at around 6p foot and 30p cavalry. I can only wish Warlord well for investing in this technology.

      Lee.

      Delete
  5. As much as plastic and resin figures look nice (they do) I’m sadly an old-school chap and really prefer the weight of metal figures. Metal just feels more substantial.
    It’s been much cooler today, so hopefully more pleasant for painting figures. 😀
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff. I do know what you mean re metal figures (and they don't come much more substantial than the 600 x 40mm Napoleonics that I owned and later sold!), but these little plastics have a charm of their own.
      Must say your organisation of the DBS armies is excellent, thanks for that as it eally helps.

      Lee.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, meant DBA of course!

      Delete
    3. I realised. The A is at the side of the S on the keyboard. 😏
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.