Tuesday 8 November 2022

Let's paint some Rebs!

I was going to write up a step by step tutorial for these being the first of the 60 figure Confederate Epic units for Chris in NZ but time constraints means a series of start to finish photos, as much for my own reference to be honest. Fast and furious method, especially in early stages with lots of controlled drybrushing followed by careful but fast detail painting and highlighting. I'm pleased with the finished look - they will be matt varnished - and hopefully Chris will be too! As always they look much better 'in the flesh' at true 13.5mm scale. No basing is required as Chris will be doing it himself.

6 Epic strips, 60 figures, total painting time just under than 5 hours including prep.
















 

As I was home from work just after 4pm (!) I did a little more work on the  first of the French ships, the sail sets are now painted and ready to mount. Still having trouble tracking down a .5 or .7mm miniature drill bit for my hand drill so can't begin rigging until I can find one.


And finally - I have weakened and ordered myself an Essex Miniatures Macedonian DBA army to mess about with! Real old school 15mm's, I just fancied doing some shields and armour. I think that between the ships and DBA I could be quite happy for a few months. Been years since I painted Essex and decades since my regular Saturday morning trips to the Canvey Island factory/shop with the family including large Golden Retriever packed into our small car, soldiers purchased followed by a walk round the country park and McDonalds on the way home, great memories.

13 comments:

  1. Great result on the Epic at under an hour per strip. I think most people are surprised when they first paint them just how long they can take if going for a traditional paint. Good that you have a DBA army planned, that’s just a nice sized project with all the other stuff you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. I must say I'm reminded just how much I liked the Epic ACW's, there is a real feeling of movement in the strips. I will introduce a few darker brown and lighter 'cream' shades as I progress but I think it's important with Confederate uniform not have anything jump out too much and to retain that overall 'butternut'/grey look. I keep in mind the days when as a member of the 'Bucktails' I had that long line of Rebs in my sights (including Old John!), those guys were very hot on uniform research and using original cloths from the old mills imported from the States.

      Delete
  2. Tamiya do both size drill bits with a thicker shank. Have to buy separately but worth the extra pennies. The Rebs look great in grey and butternut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for this, I'll take a look. Thanks for the comment on the Rebs too.
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. How many ships have you got to do Lee, and are they a just generic ones or named?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate. Just three at the moment but I intend to do maybe one per month going forward to build a nice little collection. They are pretty time consuming but very rewarding, I'm having to re learn how to tie Rod Langtons 'special knot' for the rigging! At the moment just generic but they do sell named vessels, some of the big beasts which are beautiful models. They cost about £20 each with the metal hull, brass sail sets, resin base etc per kit but the quality of the kits is amazing, I just could not get on with the Warlord Black Seas plastic ones.

      Delete
  4. Great to see so many GOOD OLE BOYS marching to victory over the Damyankees, takes me back to our re-enacting days, well done mate, lovely looking ships too
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I thought you would like em :) Great memories of our re- enactment days, my first battle was Knebworth joint SOSKAN/ACWS and I was on the Union skirmish line with the Bucktails as the long line of Rebs appeared, the noise of the volleys and cannon was deafening and I swear I actually felt nervous in the face of the onslaught :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Lee. They are looking great. You have a good understanding of what is required in painting at this scale. Very happy customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Chris, I'm enjoying painting some of the epic ACW's again, they are very animated compared to the strictly disciplined Napoleonic strips. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. You seemed to have really nailed it in terms of painting technique for these figures Lee and they look great, or as good as Rebs can be but I suppose the Federals have to have something to shoot at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian :) I do seem to have found a method for painting these strips and I think it's because I decided to approach them as I would a strip of Baccus 6mm's. For digital renders they are great little figures

      Delete
  7. Those rebs are lookin’ fine Lee. Don’t you just want to line ‘em all up and yell YEEHAWWWW 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.