Tuesday 15 November 2022

First 300 Rebs, Napoleonic ships and some Macedonians!

Some shots here taken yesterday of the first batch of painted  Epic Rebs for Chris. Hopefully you can see that I Have tried to vary the look between the brown/grey and the slightly more uniform grey with pale blue cuff patches, three of the former and two of the latter. They have had two coats of matt varnish. As Chris will be basing them to his own spec and adding flags I can call them finished. I will keep them in their units of 6 strips painted when packing. So that's 5 down with 39 more to go plus artillery! This commission will proceed at an agreed 5 regiments - 30 strips - per month, cheers Chris.











Next up and ready prepped for starting this morning are two 20mm WSS regiments for Tony, they look like Giants after the Epics! 

I have also been tinkering away on the Napoleonic ships in the evenings with the first two built and painted, .6mm holes drilled out for the rigging. In future I'll drill the models before painting but no damage was done in the process. Next step is to add the main standing rigging before adding the etched brass shrouds/ratlines and then the remaining rigging as described in the Rod Langton guide. Both ships are 'At Quarters' so no ships boats on deck - they would have been towed behind in action - the sail sets are 'Easy Sail' with Courses (lower sails) furled which was done in order to reduce risk of catching fire when in action. Just need to track down the recommended threads now and my wife is on the lookout for me. The resin sea bases will be improved once the ships are rigged with additional highlights etc.

Tiny holes 3 each side for passing the thread though for rigging.




I have also been enjoying myself painting a few Macedonians towards a DBA army. Lovely old Essex Miniatures, crisp castings. The bulk of the army will be Phalangites, 6 bases of 4 figures with pikes and shields should look quite impressive. Just a nice background project and I'll be ordering the opposing Persians this week. Going to keep the basing lighter than my usual style which should help to set off the colourful troops.









And finally, talk about it's a dogs life! Poppy certainly knows how to make herself comfortable.



20 comments:

  1. Ive always been a painter and think Im okay, but your work and output is very impressive.If I was starting over I would have certainly opted for Warlord's plastic figures although Im not certain I would be able to do as good a job as you've achieved. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate those comments :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff, as ever Lee. Your Macedonians look very nice and, under your capable generalship, will surely prove to be a formidable army.
    Did anyone ever say that dogs have to rest/sleep in a sensible position? Our two suggest not…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Geoff. I just had to take the photo of Poppy, really made me laugh :)

      Delete
  3. A goodly update, the ‘mass’ look of the Epic is, well ….. epic! Quite the spectacle. Ships are great and I was surprised to see just how dynamic the Essex Look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norm. Yes, the 60 figure regiments do look impressive. Chris will base them on slightly deeper MDF bases without the gap between stands to match what he already has. I still like Essex Miniatures :)
      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work mate, I reckon you must have painted half of the miniatures you see on blogs and in magazines. Good to see people are keeping you busy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I am now half man half painting machine, main thing is I'm still enjoying it and getting a buzz from every weeks work. Must drop you an email to see how things are going there.
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. The ACW figures certainly look impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those epic pieces are excellent you really know how to bring out the best in them. Nice to see the ships making progress they look good. My favourite ancient army Macedonians the figures may be old but they look really good. Looking forward to seeing the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the variety of different scales and periods Graham. Never painted Macedonians but I think even for DBA the phalanx is going to look mighty fine, saving it for last!
      All the best,
      Lee.

      Delete
  7. Hello there Lee,

    Blimey! Ships as well! I have to say they are shaping up to look lovely and I really like those Macedonians….

    I have not painted anything for DBA for years - the last army was a 15mm Numidian force with all the options using Essex Figures (they are about 20 minutes up the road from me. I really should think about something DBA based for a quick change - trouble is there are so many things in front of them!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure to hear from you as always David. I have been following your blog with interest, great modelling and creativity going on there. I think DBA might suit me as I get fed up with projects so quickly but this offers up the opportunity to paint lots of small 12 element armies all very different. Used to be a regular down at Canvey Island on a Saturday morning, wife, kids and large dog crammed into the small family car, Essex Miniatures, camping shop for a look round then the country park on the way home followed by McDonalds in the car!

      Hope you are keeping well.

      All the best
      Lee.

      Delete
  8. Most impressive mass effect on the Rebs...and superb ships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, always appreciate your comments :)
      Lee.

      Delete
  9. A feast of beautiful painting Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, variety is the spice of life!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.