Sunday 23 October 2022

Some ACW's for a change and Napoleonic news!

Over the past couple of weeks I have been going through a sort of seasonal blues, feeling a bit up and down and definitely not helped by the political turmoil in this country at the moment. Having been a keen follower of UK politics for most of my adult life I can barely believe what is going on at the moment and what is to come over the coming week.

This weeks commission painting has been a brigade box of Warlord Epic ACW's, 300 Union infantry in 3 regiments plus the 3 gun battery and mounted officers. Just need to add flags and texture the bases to complete. Enjoyed doing some ACW's again as it's been a while. I have also taken delivery of the full ACW starter box along with 4 packs of metal command strips from Warlord which will allow me to build 44 x 60 figure infantry regiments split 50/50 Union/Reb for Chris in New Zealand, obviously this is a long term project but one I know I will enjoy. I must admit that I had not known that the ACW command strips were available in metal, the same strip just cast in metal and you get 5 of them to a pack.











This coming week I'll be painting for Graham and Tony before getting stuck back into lots of Napoleonic Prussian Epics!

Napoleonics now sold!  Aside from the above I have also hit that point once again where it's time to find something else to mess around with as an aside from my commission painting, and to this end I have now sold my 900 painted epic Napoleonics and they will be heading off to their new owner Mal this week who will actually use the figures, something I know I will never do beyond laying them out for photos or videos. I'm happy with this decision as anyone who has followed the blog for the last 10 plus years will understand, much as I still love painting soldiers my wargaming days are now long gone. No doubt I will find something new, starting with a couple of lovely Langton Napoleonic ships again like the little Frigate I did years ago that gave me so much pleasure. Was it really 2013!





16 comments:

  1. The ACW are looking very smart, the splash of colour and your satin varnish combine to really lift them. Selling the naps …. It was only a matter of time :-) and a deviation to something quite different such as the Langton sounds a good plan.

    I have just received a few packs of 20mm from Tumbling Dice, just for a little dabble to see what they look like, having enjoyed the level of detail on Johns i.e. enough to look right, but not too much that demands a life time of painting :-), I hope to be able to develop a technique of being a little impressionistic - we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting Norm, Tumbling Dice make great figures, I have painted loads for John and Tony over the years! Epics, yes you could it coming no doubt Norm :) Trouble is I never know when to stop and call it done, intention was for just 12 bases a side for DBN but look what happened. I'm still intrigued by the potential for small space/pocket/portable size games though and was very impressed by the 2mm DBA armies I did for Geoff, a chess board size game that could be carried anywhere with the two armies in a small metal cigar box.

      Delete
  2. Not surprised by the Napoleonic sale, but I did think they held a lot of gaming promise. Love the Langtons ship, and it’d be cool to see you do some more of those. Keep your pecker up mate though I’ll join you in despair if Boris makes a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM, hoping things are going well for you and Mrs Broom there, seems you have some unseasonable good weather too? I'm feeling more upbeat now thanks mate, you know the score I'm sure. Just starting on the first Langton ship and I'm relishing the challenge of all that fiddling rigging.

      Delete
  3. YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAH!! great to see ACW lads even though they damyankees, well done mate
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Box of Rebs to do as well John :) I must reply to your email mate, sorry.

      Delete
  4. Lee, hope you’re feeling better. I have reached the point where I try not to think too hard anymore about our politics too many disingenuous individuals in the house who only think of themselves and not the country.
    I’m sad but not surprised you’ve sold the epic, you really found a groove with them just sorry it didn’t press the buttons for gaming.
    The ACW look brilliant and you’ve certainly got a lot of epic to keep you busy for a while. The ship looks brilliant I have a nice little collection of 1/1200th ships, they don’t get out much but the do look pretty awesome in the display case. Enjoy the diversion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, I have decided to back off from politics for a while as it's depressing the hell out of me :)

      Delete
  5. Can't say I didn't see it coming with the Napoleonics, still ,I've really enjoyed watching your high contrast approach with them and look forward to whatever comes next! As always the ACW chaps are excellent, I have been remembering the Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times" recently!
    Best Iain (caveadsum1471)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain Lee - hopefully the £££’s you got for your well painted Epic Napoleonics will compensate. And give you a nice “head start” for your next project.
    The ships look very nice. Would thin fishing line make better rigging? I’m not really a naval gamer, so no use askin’ me - ‘twas just a thought, that’s all.
    All the best,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff. Meant to reply to your previous comment but forgot! If you want any more 2mm's painted in the future just let me know as they are not too time consuming and I do enjoy painting them :) Re the ships rigging, has to be cotton because it requires a lot of tiny fiddly knots and twist and turns between the masts, challenging but enjoyable.

      Delete
  7. So you do ships as well eh? How do you feel about some 1:3000 one-piece ships (as sold by Lamming)? I would want the sides left blank (black) so no need to paint gun ports, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob. To be honest I'm so booked up with painting for many months ahead that I really cannot take on anything else! Otherwise I would have had a go at the ships for you. Really sorry.
      Lee.

      Delete
  8. These and the previous Napoleonics are the best painting of these Epic figures that I have seen. I struggle with the apparent cynicism of Warlord in producing them at another, new and un-matachable scale, but Mal did very well to purchase your beauties! I really like and enjoy dark undercoat and shading as it creates a wonderful impression of depth and texture. It's a level above when done by you!
    Best regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the kind words James. Mal has already fought his first battle with the figures and he loves them. I'm just happy that they are being used and enjoyed.
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.