Wednesday 10 November 2021

Volksstrum progress and more Crimeans.

 As of yesterday I have painted the first 48 of the 20mm Volkssturm figures, all so far packs VSO1 and VSO2. All 75 will be finished by the weekend, I'm saving the command, the character and MG packs until last! Working in batches of 12 works well with these and features a good mix of uniforms, civilian clothing and equipment, as expected  they are very rewarding figures to paint. I'm trying to keep everything quite muted with just the odd splash of a brighter colour here and there, the military uniform would have been whatever could be laid hands on, mostly with all patches and insignia removed. Ex Luftwaffe and 'Brown shirt' shades also feature scattered throughout. They look a lot better close up in the flesh, there's a lot of subtle shading in there and the arm bands are three colours, red/white and then black through the centre which required an incredibly steady hand and fine brush!


Crimean War in 6mm. I'm really enjoying putting this little lot together. I have added more infantry for both sides and a unit of Dragoon Guards for the British. I have enough now to play a small battle which I hope to do at the weekend on the folding card table to begin with. To this end I decided to attempt a couple of small woodland areas and as a change wanted to create a more 'top down' effect as befits the scale. The base is cut from 5mm foamboard painted Burnt Umber top and edges and then lines added all around the edges in a lighter shade, in this case Flat Earth. I had a huge bag of clump foliage sitting in the drawer so selected large lumps to glue around the top edges before gradually filling in the entire top. I'm actually really pleased with the look, of course the bases will need to sit on top but in this scale that won't look too bad during a game. I have also painted up some Battlescale buildings. The only reference I could find was of small white houses dotted around the harbour at Balaclava so these will do for a small village for the time being until I can further research. 

On order are Russian Infantry in caps, some lovely Greek Legion infantry, some French line infantry and Chasseurs d'Afrique and another battery of guns for both sides. There is of course the prospect of Turkish and Sardinians down the road too! 

Latest additions, another British regiment of foot and Dragoon Guards. I will just knock the helmets back to bronze as they look a little too bright after I touched them with Gold and I don't have Brass!




Below, a bit more work on the edges needed I think, maybe lighter vertical lines and fill in any gaps.



10 comments:

  1. Great looking set up matey. Looking forward to the first batrep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM. I'm thinking for a first run out I might use a 3" square grid Portable wargames style, those hills are actually made to fit two squares. I simply can't get my head round playing without some kind of grid, I don't know why but I just cant! I have some ideas for rules for such games. Hills are an issue for me as I can't abide square hills, but have a (slightly) cunning plan :)

      Delete
  2. Lee, the Volks look great. I am regularly disappointed that photography pales compared to what the naked eye is seeing on the table. This is particularly true of elevation with say tea-towels under a game cloth, the light just blows the contours out for the camera, yet they are very visible to the naked eye.

    Glad you continue to enjoy the Crimean figs, they are looking great and that is certainly due to a skilled paint job. The woods just look fab and instantly give that top down look. I think the biggest benefit of the smaller scales is the vista that terrain offers. I am just doing some 10mm Battlescale buildings now, they are lovely resins to work with, Steve does a lovely job on them.

    Enjoy your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I'm planning for a free day on Sunday for a tester game. One more Russian infantry base will give me 10 bases per side for now.

      Photography is a pain! I just can't get good pics with either my (older) I Phone or my wifes new one which has a very good camera on it, videos seem to come out better but still don't show off the shading and highlighting barely at all. I have played with light settings, backgrounds everything I can. There is a lot more work in the Volksturm than I can capture but at least the customer is happy with them.

      Steves little buildings are a joy.

      Cheers,

      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Stunning 6mm units, love th Dragoon Guards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil. Yes, the Dragoons are one of my favourites so far, I think it's the combination of the red coat, blue trousers and brass helmet that works so well in this scale.
      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Lee, I have all sorts of issues taking photos but the video works well and the Volks look good. Love the Crimean war figures - have you thought of having a hole under the wood and having some of the clumps on a mesh? Either way they look very good and I’m looking forward to seeing your test game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham. Thanks for the comments and that's a good idea for the woods! I have seen something like that idea where the top lofts off but knowing me I'd forget the unit was under there :) These are only really mock ups for the time being, my goal would be terrain more 'model railway' style and modular which would work well in this scale I think. The Volks are now 60 down with 16 to go! Last batch I added some cammo here and there, been quite a while since I painted that! A few characters in the 10 planned for today including a couple of chubby guys in Lederhosen :)

      Delete
  5. Great looking volkssrtum and the teeny tiny crimea project is looking great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.