Sunday 24 March 2024

Side project coming along, 'Battle Cry' using Epic ACW's.

I have been adding the odd unit base here and there and this little project is really coming together quite quickly. To date I have painted 14 infantry, 3 artillery bases plus mounted and dismounted cavalry and horse holder markers. I have deliberately tried to keep this project on a  budget as I'm focused on building up stuff for my model railway project which even for a small N Gauge shunting type layout is pretty expensive. Rather than buy additional metal command strips from Warlord (£15 for 5 strips!) I am converting the standard infantry strips as required. By careful trimming away of rifles and replacing with dress makers pins heated and then glued I'm more than happy.  A cut down pin also works as officers sword over the shoulder. You can judge the results from the photos. I'm also trimming down all the hats to kepis for my Union units, something quite easily done with a bit of practice using a scalpel.

As I had leftover Zouave strips I decided to add a unit of the early war Louisiana boys. I wanted to add a few straw 'boaters' which involved head swaps using suitable hats which in this scale was quite a demanding job I can tell you, I lost several heads in the process! I also wanted just the single standard bearer for all my Reb units so I cut a command strip in half and replaced the unwanted figures. I also trimmed away all bayonets so as to match the other units. On the whole I'm rather pleased with them I must say. Will be adding flags to all Reb units later today, the Union already have them fitted.

So far this project has cost me the grand total of just £42.00 and I still have Union cavalry and enough strips for another 6 infantry units left to paint. I will need some of the mounted personalities though.

Once again I'm enjoying myself with this and it takes me right back to my early Airfix ACW days, I still have my battered old copy of the 1971 Terence Wise book.

Tigers!





Standard strip converted to command.

Rear strip for unit designation and to place casualty marker.



Pure nostalgia!




14 comments:

  1. Brilliant looking lads , good ideas doing conversions and i still have my copy of Terry Wise's book !! and when i started ACW gaming got many ideas from conversion articles in Airfix magazines and annuals
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, and all as cheap as chips :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on them, I have a box of Union and a box of Confederates but don't want to go down the big units path, I really like the idea of smaller units and may well do something similar, may have to buy extra command though as my conversion skills are not up to your standard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. The extra metal command strips are very good to be honest, I just wanted to trim down my Union guys so all wearing kepis which is quick and easy to do with a scalpel but mind your fingers :)
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Nice to be painting these for yourself - you can probably do them with your eyes closed! The dress makers pin looks fine and THAT is a link back in to old Airfix days🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I do have a fast painting method for these guys now! The pins work well I think and are indeed a throw back to Airfix days :)
      Cheers,
      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Lee and your Tigers are brilliant! I never did get a copy of that book…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian. I'm enjoying these little plastic chaps!

      Delete
  5. Obviously we all need Zouaves in our ACW armies. It should go without sayin’ 😉
    As ever, your troops are looking fine and dandy.Well done 👏👏
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geoff. Could not resist doing the Tigers!
      Cheers,
      Lee

      Delete
  6. They look fab, Lee, love the conversion work too!! £15 for 5 strips sounds a bit expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. That's Warlord for you, the basics are dirt cheap but the add ons are not! I guess to be fair there's a fair chunk of metals in those strips.

      Delete
  7. Excellent conversion work and a decent looking collection already! Got to have zouaves if it's an option, I'm clearly not alone in having that airfix book on my shelf!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I seem to be off again, no idea where it's going just enjoying putting it together :)
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.