Monday 28 August 2023

All change! More 3mm ancients and 1/72nd Winged Hussars.

With batch 1 of the Pony Wars commission all safely stored away it's straight back to painting a box for Old John who has been waiting patiently for me to clear the decks of the Epic projects. A new painter has been found who will continue the Waterloo project for Tony2 and everything will be shipped off to him on Tuesday and as you can see from the photo there is a lot of it!

Speaking of the Pony Wars project a lovely surprise arrived on Friday from the local Dickens House Wine Emporium, Rochester, 6 bottles of rather fine wine with a note which read ' To celebrate the first 68'. I still can't quite get over it but suffice to say that my wife and I shared a very nice bottle of Pinot Noir with dinner on Saturday, Thank you Mark, you really shouldn't have but it's much appreciated!



So I'm now painting through Johns Box starting with 16 plastic Zvedza Winged Hussars which are coming up a treat I must say. I have four left to paint later today but could not resist sending John a  few photos yesterday. 






After this box is completed I'll be painting more 2mm DBA armies for Geoff, as usual all neatly labelled and prepared ready for painting.

I continue to be fascinated by the 3mm ancient ranges by Magister Militum and am just about to begin DBA number 8 which will be Classical Indian, lots of Elephants, loads of bow armed infantry and good quality cavalry. All armies are now fully magnetised and stored two per neat little wooden box with the latest being Parthians, 4 bases of heavy cataphracts and 8 of light horse archers, the latter based in a swirling loose formation trying to represent them riding forward to discharge their arrows  then retiring. There are 112 of them on the 8 bases which I think gives a nice mass effect. A few shots of everything neatly stored in the boxes are below. 

Room for one more army!


Macedonians.


Gallic Warbands!


And a shot of the Epic Napoleonics heading off to the new painter Daniel on Tuesday, should keep him busy for a while!





14 comments:

  1. As usual a lovely job on the winged hussars and the 3mm lads. That massive pile of epic that were still to be done would have broken me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM and thank you :) Things did get a bit overwhelming to be honest with boxes and sprues turning up in the post and I had to call it a day. Really nice to be painting 20mm's again I must say.

      Delete
  2. I see Mark sent you the wine after you'd finished the first batch of his figures and were moving on to do some for OJ, are you sure it's not some fiendish plot? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very nice bribe Rob :) Old John's box is now finished and I'll be starting box2 of 100 Indians on foot in a week or so.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got a new painter and the relief that goes with that. The kind gift is just another example of the thoughtful and kindly people that fill this hobby and help turn the wheels of daily life.

    I am painting furiously ….. better known as decorating!🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was moved by the gift Norm, but I know Mark is over the moon with the painting so far which really makes everything worthwhile. Big brush painting eh? Bit hot for it this week!

      Delete
  4. Glad you found a new painter for the epic, the winged hussars look excellent as of course do the 3mm - hope you’ve stocked up with M M selling up? Red wine now that’s unfair, such blatant bribery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, yes a lovely and much appreciated 'bribe' :) Really glad we managed to find another painter to carry on the Epics, he's a Contrast paints man which I think could help speed up the output a bit? MM - got a full Indian army next, 2 types of elephants, heavy chariots, cavalry and bow armed foot, I'm just hoping they find a buyer for the 3mm range as it's unique and I had more plans.
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Great looking ancients and gorgeous winged hussars!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet those Zvedza Winged Hussars took an awful lot longer to paint than the 2mm ones you did for me Lee. Still, they do look rather spiffing. 👏👏

    It’s good to hear that my 2mm armies are nearing the front of your production line - Muscovites, Swedes plus a few additional Poles & Ottomans. Once those are completed then the last lot of this “campaign set” will be Cossacks & Tatars plus half a dozen small camps (mostly 40x20mm earthworks, although the Tatar camp will be a herd of horses).
    In addition, “waiting in the wings” I have French Wars of Religion - Huguenots and Catholics. Still, I don’t want to overwhelm you. Hopefully my 2mm scale (small) armies (with a small number of bases) be a bit of variety and a diversion
    to fill spare time between the other bigger & more numerous armies. 😉

    It’s good the Epics have a new painter. You did a cracking job, but I appreciate it can’t be east to maintain the enthusiasm when the are simply sooooo many of the little beggars.

    Cheers,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, John's box is done, having a day off today and will then be starting your 2mm's next so I'll dig out the information and paint guides etc. Will be in touch as usual as things progress.
      Cheers
      Lee

      Delete
  7. Such lovely work on the winged hussars. Does the wine improve your painting? I always find a glass of scotch on the painting desk improves my attitude at least, especially when slogging through fiddly napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. As I paint mostly through the day it's morning coffee and cups of tea that sustains me :) I never paint in the evenings though as it's downtime so a glass or two of red wine with evening meal is my tipple.
      All the best,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.