Wednesday 14 June 2023

Challenging times but still painting.

So, I won't lie,(as the kids say), things are a bit challenging here at the moment. We are facing a house move not entirely of our own choosing and my wife is having to spend more and more time caring for our eldest daughter who is becoming increasingly dependent upon the use of a wheelchair. This has not helped the old Dysthymia (now more commonly known as Persistent Depressive Disorder) which can make tackling even the simplest tasks a challenge. That said things are certainly not all gloom and doom by any means and life goes on. 'The sun is shining and the weather is sweet, makes you want to move your dancing feet' (Now there's a tune to life the spirits!).

If I have not replied to your messages or emails you will hopefully kind of understand why, which I think was the point of this post in the first place. Please bear with me.

Meantime I'm still painting soldiers, mainly focused on completing the two Epic commissions on schedule but from August onwards I'll be easing back somewhat. I still want to paint 15mm's and other metals but won't take on any further Epic work beyond current commitments.

For now here are a few photos of recent commission stuff (Napoleonics and ACW's) plus a few more of my own 3mm Ancients, the expanded Republican Roman army and the Spanish (CeltIberian) army for DBA. I'm now expanding the Greek army to 18 bases, mostly solid Hoplites 50 figures per base).

Cheers for now,

Lee.


Below: Dutch Belgian reinforcements for Tony's Waterloo project.




Below: Deploy the 3mm Legion!






Below: Enemies of Rome The CeltIberians - solid warbands and lots of skirmishes.




16 comments:

  1. Must be hard doing the commission work when you feel that crap. Kudos for ploughing on with it. Are you able to take a short break from it all? Those 3mm armies are magnificent by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there JBM. Cheers for the comments on the 3mm's, I must admit I can see so much potential in the scale.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your trials, I hope your move goes smoothly and makes life just that bit easier.
    Best wishes, Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, I'm sure things will settle down, not the worst thing in the World after all :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee, sorry to hear that you and the family are going through tough times. Your Epic always look brilliant (and numerous), but probably a good decision to not take on more for the moment. Your 3mm are looking amazing.

    Here, the heat is killing any chance of me picking up a brush … ‘my’ room today hit 37 degrees! Hotter by you I would imagine!

    Hope things get a bit easier at your end in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norm. Thank you. I'm sure we all go through tough times, part of the journey, but not the end of the world :) Painting is helping me keep focused at least.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to here about you problems, I do hope things take a turn in your favour very soon. Gotta say the figures do look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, nothing too bad in the great scheme of things :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you are going through a bad patch. Take it one day at a time and you will work your way through. At least you are lucky to have such an absorbing hobby to help distract you.

    regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul, and a very happy 79th Birthday to you, that walking certainly keeps you fit :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lee. I think that they should ban holidays after your 30th. I am usually blissfully unaware how old I am, and then it comes as quite a shock to realise that next year I will be 80. However age really is only a number, and I am fortunate to be reasonably fit and in a lovely area to indulge my second favourite hobby of hill walking.

      Delete
  6. Lee, sorry to hear about all the challenges you’re facing, focus on the good things, deal with the challenges one at a time and keep painting. Your latest pieces as always look good, give yourself a game. All will work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Graham. It's not that bad compared to to your recent health scares :) Our eldest daughter is 38 and Fibromyalgia restricts her mobility but could be a lot worse. It's important to keep these things in perspective but sometimes it all gets you down a bit! As for the move, well it's an upheaval but has to be done :)

      Delete
  7. I’m sorry to hear life isn’t running smoothly for you and your family Lee. Sometimes life can be a real b@5tard - but, as others have said, you’ve just got to get on with things and take each & every day as it comes.
    Celebrate the successes and make sure to smile every chance you get.
    If ever you need “someone to talk to” then I’m sure Poppy will be a good listener when you take her out for a walk. Both of our dogs are very patient whilst Grandad (me) witters on about whatever’s on my mind at the time.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, thanks for sharing. I too have struggled with dysthymia so appreciate it whenever others share their struggles. Hope you find joy in simple things along the way. I trust the move will turn out to be a good thing in the end, as I have often found that things have a way of working out. Best to you and your family. The figures look awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent looking figures as always, sad to hear of the enforced move and how you feel, I find just plodding along and busy helps plus the solace of figure painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.