Saturday 29 April 2023

Some 3D printed samples!

These turned up in the post last week and I had no idea who sent them until Tony2 asked me if I had received any samples! They are of course digital sculpts and prints in resin  and are the first examples of small scale figures using this technology that I have seen close up. You might  recall the lovely 40mm scale RHA gun crew that the late Ian Smith and I had made about 5 years ago which was my first and last foray into 3D wargame figures (reminder below and I'm still astonished!). 

I see so many files on offer now that it's clear the technology has moved on massively now in the smaller scales. These are 10mm scale, they are quite chunky and to my eyes the horses are somewhat cartoonish, but I'm keen to see how they will paint up. They are also quite brittle and one bayonet was broken BUT clearly there is huge potential. Graham Cummings sent me a link to MC Miniatures yesterday and they sell some really nice looking files for Napoleonics as I had been looking for Brunswickers for Tony. Graham is having some printed but his photo certainly looked most impressive. 





So what do you think about the potential of this technology and it's impact on the hobby? Of course you don't need to even own a printer as there are services out there who will print for you!

Below: From 3D file to painted figure. 40mm scale RHA officer. Commissioned by Ian Smith and myself and printed by Graham Cummings.





11 comments:

  1. Very interesting to see these and I agree with your comments about their general form. The one thing I found about plastics and now printed models is their lack of weight - which I find mildly off putting for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny enough JBM many wargamers prefer plastics for this very reason! I'm probably with you though, can't beat a good traditionally sculpted and cast metal soldier.

      Delete
  2. I do like the small scale figures. Technology is moving very fast, there doesn't seem to be a limit of the possibilities of 2D printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoying your 2mm stuff Ray, those bases are very eye catching.

      Delete
  3. It really has cone on in leaps and bounds I'm looking at 3d printed 28mm armour now and Napoleonic limbers, much more economical!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Iain, so much is available now and most of it is very good.

      Delete
  4. Nice …. But my first thought, in a world of needing to be a bit more eco-friendly, there does seem to be an awful lot of resin waste on them! Is that really the best we can do? (or can that resin be recycled - pardon my ignorance). But I suppose there is just as much waste on my ‘insert company name here’ plastic sprue!

    As an aside, do the Airfix generation still get a thrill at opening a box and pulling a sprue out (I do) and I think that I would rather do that than get myself ‘invested’ in 3D ….. total Luddite signing off :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point Norm, probably around 50% waste looking at them! First time I have seen some resin prints in this 'raw' state I must admit it would trouble me too. Personally I won't buy into the technology but have been looking for some suitable Brunswick infantry for my Epic customer as it's impossible to do a convincing job using the existing sprues and you can't have waterloo without them really can you :) Tony want's 6 battalions of them and the French paint conversion will not cut it!

      Delete
  5. I agree with JBM above - at least metal figures have a certain weight about them that suggests robustness.
    I have a few resin figures and they just feel so “light”. And fragile. Obviously I’m always careful with figures, but the resin/3D printed figures do worry me (perhaps with no real reason - but no one said it had to be logical).
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, the more I look at these resin print samples the more I dislike them, but I think it's more to do with the digital sculpts. I have to say I still like the RHA crew prints though.
      Lee.

      Delete
  6. Like the 40mm figure! Printed some of the new Kozak Miniatures at 40mm and really like them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.