Friday 7 January 2022

Lot's more dismounted Dragoons and 6mm's all rebased!

Kept myself busy since Christmas (in spite of a chest infection), painting more dismounted Dragoons for Old John. This continues the theme from the previous box where I got to select Dragoon units from the excellent reference book John sent me. What you see here are five units of French Dragoons and a unit of Portuguese Dragoons (in white tunics). The French were painted to match the four extra drummer figures I painted previously and the horse holder and horses also painted previously so all units will now comprise 8 Dragoons, 1 horse and 1 horse holder.

The figures are plastic by Strelets, an excellent set with realistic poses and accurate sculpts. I enjoyed painting them very much indeed and while red is the predominant colour of the tunics I tried to vary the shades slightly as per the book. 

48 figures (+ 4 drummers painted previously) and 4 standing horses. Noted the unpainted saddle and corrected!  Next are 60 Russian infantry armed with muskets and large axe, (Streltsy) for John in 4 units, each with different colour tunics.










I have also managed to rebase all of the Crimean war 6mm figures over the last couple of weeks on 50mm x 25mm MDF bases. I went with the 3 ranks this time as I wanted to give the impression of larger bodies of massed troops for use with DBN (DBC?) rules as well as on the C&C board and Portable wargame rules and this basing style suits all three sets of rules. I'm happy anyway with the overall look. I ran out of bases with two more Russian cavalry units left but have more on order. I still have plenty more figures to paint but for now I'm going to focus on the terrain.













8 comments:

  1. WOW, OMG!!!!!!!!!!! my dragoons look absolutely fantastic, such a wonderful painting, thanks you so much, great additions to collection, hope the Portuguese ones can take the pressure!! well done with the Crimea rebasing, lovely collection you have
    again very many thanks
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased you like them John and as usual they look much better in the flesh, I struggle to get photos that reflect the paint job!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the 20's, what a colourful army. Also, great fortitude to rebase the 6mm, but they do look very good for all that work. If I recall correctly, Irregular do ready based 3 ranks deep for some ranges, but I couldn't get on with the 'superficial' painting of the middle rank, because it was harder to reach .... yet at the scale, it would have looked superb had my mind been free enough to engage with the painting style needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. I have not tried painting the 3 rank blocks but would be interested to see what could be done with them. Might have to grab a few.

      Delete
  3. Spectacular and superb, lovely colors on your dismounted dragoons...and impressive details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the Dragoons have turned out well.

      Delete
  4. The Strelets figures really have a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rob, these new plastic figures are excellent.

      I'm still not 100% happy with the 6mm basing, I now think they looked better in two ranks!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.