Sunday 19 December 2021

More Peter Pig ECW's & a 6mm basing issue!

It's been an interesting week with most of the family going down with various forms of coughs and colds and two of the grandchildren requiring  visits to A&E for treatment. I'm coughing and snuffling but at least we have all had negative Covid tests.

This weeks output has been the two regiments of foot you see below for Graham, one Royalist and one Parliamentarian. As usual I enjoy painting the Pig castings. Added the hanging match and the collars to the white coats this morning and they are all just waiting for varnishing later. IN addition I have added 6mm French cuirassiers, another Greek battalion, Russian Guard cavalry and a second British Guard infantry Regiment over the last seven days. I'll have a break for Christmas now before staring on more 20mm figures for John. 














Below: more Highlanders on the go yesterday, should finish them off today. Also I have had some issues with the very thin plastic bases I have used with some warping and basing texture peeling off here and there. With close to 1000 figures painted so far I need to decide what to do about it. I peeled off the two Guard regiments to play with a couple of ideas and must admit that I still like them like this. I'm not keen on using 2mm MDF as they just look a bit chunky to me with 6mm figures so the jury is out and I'll make my mind up over the coming days. Any suggestions are welcome.






16 comments:

  1. The highlanders look great.

    For basing, would plastic Renedra product work, they are a bit slimmer than 2mm mdf, you can cut then down with a razor saw. here is a link to an online bricks and mortar store that shows whats available.

    https://www.wargamestore.com/renedra-bases-scenery-and-buildings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats worth looking into Norm, thank you. I actually have a number of them tucked away here somewhere so I'll have a try and see how they look.

      Delete
  2. Those 15's are Superb! Enjoy your Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. I'll be spending a few days trying to sort out my basing issues!

      Delete
  3. Nice work Lee!

    Warbases do supply 1.5mm plywood bases which is about as thin as you can get with wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. I'm very much enjoying this little project just need to sort the basing. I'll look into all of the products suggested.

      Delete
  4. wow, awesome Highlanders matey. Merry xmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much mate :) And to you too.

      Delete
  5. Great looking tiny crimea troop! Lovely ECW troops, makes me want a white coated regiment!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I have tried to slightly vary the white coats between the (I think) 4 regiments I have painted for Graham from cream to Ivory.

      Delete
  6. 15s are ace, lovely work. I have to ask, if your're using super-slim bases, don't you end up picking the units by the figures, rather than the base? Any wear and tear from that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers FMB. Yo are right about having to pick them up by the flags or horses which is why I'm experimenting with gloss varnish now. In this scale it's not so obvious and brings out the colours, I'll get some photos up next time.

      Delete
    2. My 6mils are well protected with matt varnish and show no signs of wear from being picked up by the figures. Also, I use steel paper applied to thin card for my 6mil bases. This means they're very secure in the boxes which are 'floored' with magnetic tiles. I've had no issues with warping as the card is sealed with thinned enamel paint and I always put them on the magnetic tiles while drying. While I still have a small stock of steel paper I can't find it these days so have used flexible ferro-sheet under the card for my 25mm ECW and it works well - no warping issues depsite texturing with sand and PVA (also they are sealed with paint and varnish before texturing and get placed on the magnetic tiles while drying). If you just used the ferro-sheet it probably wouldn't warp at all but might shed texturing like plastic.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the information/idea Rob. I think I tried to get away with something cheap and cheerful in the plastic book cover material but it's not worked out. before I go any further I'm going to sort this out.

      Delete
  7. Lee - thin steel bases?? These are 1.2mm thick.... https://pwsltd.square.site/steel-bases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Steve, I have been wondering what you have been up to recently as no posts for some time! Hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for the idea and it's something I'll look straight into. I remember when I painted hundreds of 6mm ancients for a fellow gamer years ago he supplied those metal bases and they worked very well, excellent adhesion of the figures and textures and of course stored on magnetic sheets. So cheers for this Steve.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.