Saturday 11 December 2021

6mm test game thoughts and Minifigs for John.

At last, I have a battle on the table again, I knew I could not resist for long!


I lost a few days painting last week with gastric flu which left me very tired. All recovered now so this week I have painted the 19 Minifigs French infantry (Regiment De Lassey) and 9 Minifigs Spanish cavalry (Cuirassier Regiment Morras ) for Old John's WSS collection. Enjoyed painting them and the contrast between the black cuirass ad white tunics with red facings makes for a colourful unit. The contrast between the grey base and highlight shades are not as stark as in the photos (as usual), and in fact the two shades are my go to colours for mid grey uniforms as they work so well together Vallejo Medium Sea Grey and Neutral Grey. Just a single Minifigs artilleryman pushing wheel barrow to complete that box before I get stuck into John's follow up box which I have had for a couple of weeks! Before that though I have two more Peter Pig 15mm ECW regiments foot to paint for Graham which will, I believe, complete the units for his planned Edgehill project. After Christmas I have 40 Soviet Naval Infantry in 20mm (Britannia Miniatures) to paint for Alister ( thanks for coming back again). After that in the pipeline are another 2 regiments of WSS cavalry for Tony, French this time I think, so plenty to keep me busy looking ahead.












I did manage to get the 6mm's on the folding table last weekend for a trial game to see how things looked and felt. I played for about an hour and a half using basic C&C rules with a simple average dice activation roll. It did of course throw up a few anomalies which have given me things to think about but I can see the potential of the game with some tweaks. I plan to write more fully on the rules ideas, but suffice to say I enjoyed myself and it was nice to roll some dice again and push some figures around. Going forward the main plan at the moment is for a fully textured board of 3 x 4 size. The green cloth is fine for testing but I really want the overall look to be improved.

Photos below show the test game in progress.  The micro dice are placed when a unit is activated, the 10mm green circles mark current strength (in blocks). 









11 comments:

  1. The game is looking rather splendid and you have struck a good visual balance on scale and base size. I really like those 10mm green markers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, it seems to be coming together nicely now. From past experience I just need to know when to stop! I think a textured larger table will make a big difference though.

      Delete
  2. WOW!! 6mm layout look very impressive, my French infantry look great, many thanks, as do the Catalonian cavalry, a really superb painting, very much appreciated
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. I think you will be pleased with the Minifigs when you get your hands on them, I know I am :)

      Delete
  3. A very impressive looking game Lee. The figures look brilliant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That game looks so much better than the standard C&C 'boardgame' - interested to hear how well it plays out. Still reckon the hills would benefit from sloped sides and maybe sub-scale building would make the battle appear bigger, but otherwise it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting there Rob! I'm struggling with the square table so a more conventional board is planned and I'll work on the hills when I do that to match. Funny enough I agree about the buildings, I had been thinking that slightly downscaled would work well but nothing out there! I just might try and make my own basic buildings, I have a few ideas as to how.

      Delete
    2. There's quite a bit out there, e.g.:
      http://www.supremelittleness.co.uk/sld-3mm/ce3mm.htm
      http://www.totalbattleminiatures.com/skirmish/3mm/westerneurope.html
      https://www.magistermilitum.com/scale/3mm.html?cat%5B0%5D=61969&p=1
      The last even has some Vauban fortress elements for sieges or siege-related battles.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for those Rob, I really had no idea! After your comment 3D printed buildings did cross my mind as files can be printed to any scale as I understand it, but I'm going to look into this stuff now.

      Delete
  5. Great looking tricorn wearing troops! Your 6mm set up looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.