Tuesday 7 June 2016

Looking back, and looking ahead!

I managed to dig up a few shots of the old 'Essex Miniatures' project using 15mm figures to replace the wooden blocks in the C&C Napoleonics series. Back then (2013) I started with Russians v French and looking back it produced a rather pleasing game when played on the C&C board. This time I'm starting with the base game which focused on the Peninsular War primarily, and has endless scenarios based on real battles that can be set up in a small space and played in under a couple of hours to a conclusion. As it's card driven and the command hand is constantly changing it works well for solo play too. I have the full set of expansions - Spanish, Russian, Austrian and Prussian - there is loads of mileage in this project. I don't yet have the final expansion.

Looking back for inspiration - 15mm Essex miniatures on the C&C board - 2013.



Looking ahead.
Well, I have also made another decision. The 'Tank War' project has been something of a let down as a means of playing tank on tank combat games so I have decided to trim down the 1/56th scale (28mm) tank collection and retain just the base game forces for Bolt Action. For some time recently I have yearned for the old 'Flames of War' armour rules with it's bogging checks, bail outs, remounts and firepower rolls. I feel that it models tank based warfare far better than TW. To this end I have invested in two ready painted 15mm FoW armoured forces of 12 to 14 tanks and vehicles per side to get me back into it. Both should be here later this week. The US force is based a platoon of 5 Shermans, a platoon of 5 Stuart light tanks, a platoon of 4 M10 tank destroyers plus numerous jeeps etc. The Germans are based around 2 platoons each of 4 Panzer IV's plus command vehicles and a recce etc, All are very well painted and I will thoroughly enjoy myself with them I'm sure. I hope to recover this initial cost of £250.00 by back selling a dozen or so of the 28mm painted tanks and vehicles, and I'm perfectly happy with this decision.

If anyone is looking to buy a ready painted Sherman M4 to compliment BA infantry force I have six going including a resin and metal Firefly as well as an M10 tank destroyer, Stuart light tank and numerous Panzers including a StuG, Tiger I, Hetzer and Marder, now all surplus to requirement or duplicates. I'm looking for around £20.00 per model plus postage UK only please. Happy to send individual pics of each model to choose from and combine postage. lgramson@yahoo.com for details please.

The  Panzers are on their way, paint job is slightly earlier but so good I'll use them as they are!


The US tank platoons.

10 comments:

  1. Those 15mm chaps are dinky. I don't normally go for it as a scale, but you've done a lovely job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear the new Iron Cross rules offer up a good tank-on-tank game as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bold and decisive and probably for the good as you have harked after FoW for a while now.

    There is a new game out from Battlefront called Tanks. It looks an easy fun game, but more importantly looks like a quick ad cheap way to get some 15mm armour - there are some Panthers there that you may want to fill a gap. It is featured in this month's Wargames Illustrated magazine (on the shelves in Smiths now).

    I like your 15mm Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I'll have a look at that new game, sounds interesting.

      Delete
  4. Those Panzers are very nice indeed.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, soon as I saw them I just had to have them!

      Delete
  5. I like your 15mm Napoleonics if your going to improve on them the next force will be very impressive. I'm just starting 28mm Napoleonics I'll be very happy if they are remotely near your 15mm standard! Looking at your blog reminds me I should do something with my bolt action soviets that I bought at the same time as my Napoleonics, well I hadn't bought anything for well over a year! Impressive resolve to dispose of your tanks after you've detailed and painted them.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain,
      The new AB figures are very fine and should paint up well.I was disappointed with the 28mm Tank war rules, too simplistic, so it's back to Flames of War for my tank battles in 15mm :)

      Delete
    2. Just a thought... could you mod flames of war for the 28mm stuff??

      Delete
    3. Steve, I did think about that but 28mm tank battles just look wrong on a 6 x 4 table! Also cost would be prohibitive where you can pick up painted FoW tanks for a few quid each. A painted 28mm Warlord Tiger can go for up to £50 on eBay.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.