Monday 30 September 2019

42nd Highlanders & RHA crew latest.

Here are the 42nd Foot completed by the addition of the five figure command pack.  As said previously I am not a great painter of tartan! After much fussing about I settled for this 'impression' of the Black Watch kilts which I hope at least contrasts OK with the 92nd. On the subject of the 92nd I'm aware that they did not wear peaks to the caps but I was not going to start cutting them off expensive 40mm castings, I can live with them. 48 Highlander castings from Sash & Sabre plus a command base painted over the past year or so. This now completes 7 infantry battalions for the British army, plus the rifles and light infantry units.

Battalion number 8 will be the British Marines in round hats when the next order from S&S arrives in the Uk to Andy at Old Glory. Good to note that designer Chris was happy to accommodate my request for a 24 figure unit pack - the marines come as a 20 figure pack including command figures, additional castings can be purchased at extra cost, worth bearing in mind for the future.

All flags will be by GMB in due course.








Now assembling and base coating the French 12pdr to finish the battery, it's a hefty chunk of metal.  I might just jump straight into the cuirassiers next as I can't help myself. they will consist of the three command figures plus five troopers, I'm sure the other two troopers in the pack will be used at a later date. I note the horses are cast without the reins which I feel will produce a neat finish using flattened wire. The horses are lovely chunky castings.


Over a year getting to this stage!



And the RHA sculpts are coming along a treat, Ian sent me these last night. A couple of minor tweaks to do, belt plates on all shoulder belts, extending the braid further across the chest and exaggerating some shallow detail so they print sharply. I'm really pleased to see this project coming to fruition and we do plan to make the set of 5 figures available to other 40mm collectors in due course, they will fill a gap in the market.

Here's the full gun crew at this stage. Officers lace needs repainting gold.


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful 42nd Highlanders, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All wonderfully executed. Your tartans certainly look convincing to me, and the RHA figures should be something once finished. Your officer with pelisse at the bottom of today's post is very handsome.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stokes, I am very much enjoying painting these figures, can't really see myself doing much else for the next couple of years!

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking highlanders and your RHA officer is excellent,I have been remiss in commenting, your French and Italians are also excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, always a pleasure to hear from you :)

      Delete
  4. The highlanders look great Lee!

    Is the idea to use the 3D printed models as masters to have cast or will you be using them as they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,

      I don't think I'll be painting any more Highlanders for a while, phew!

      Re the printed resins I think we will be using them as they are for our couple of crews each, the resin quality is high and they do not seem brittle at all. The option is there though to produce a mould of the full set and cast in metal if there was enough demand from other 40mm collectors. I note that the Perry 40mm French gun crew (they only do the French for some reason) are cast in resin and sell for £5.50 per figure!

      Delete
  5. All lovely and the RHA sculpts are both beautiful and fascinating, what an interesting learning curve.

    Anyway, massively more important! You commented on my Tiger Tank Shenanigans post (http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/09/fake-news-mystery-of-peculiar-rash.html), which put you in the hat for a £10 Amazon gift voucher, which I am pleased to say that you have won.

    Can you send me details of the e-mail address that you would like me to send the gift voucher to, if you use my Commanders 'contact me' page, it is secure and I delete all e-mails once read. LINK
    https://commanders.simdif.com/contact.html.

    Thanks Norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Norm - you mean I have actually won a competition without even realising I was in it! Excellent and thank you, I will reply on your bog and the prize will be put to very good use I'm sure :)

      Delete
  6. They look stunning, 'Lee, which is only appropriate as two battalions of Highlanders is a stunning achievement. I've yet to try my hand at even one!
    All the best
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. I look forward to the day when you paint a battalion of Highlanders, I just know the result will be amazing.

      Delete
  7. Great work Lee, I haven't ordered Highlanders yet (or Hussars!) as getting the basics shaped up is challenging enough. I did manage a 3 battalion regiment of Legere and have prepared some spanish using the Polish and 1812 Militia bodies with bicornes and top hats.....I am catching up to you!
    I can't see away to add photos to this comment but put some on LAF.
    Cheers Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, good to see you here :) Re the Highlanders I have to point out that some of the bayonets on these castings break very easily, seems to be a fault as all other infantry both French and British are fine, much stronger. I had to do quite a few repairs with blobby superglue! I'll take a look at your photos, always interested in seeing other 40mm collections.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.