Sunday 2 December 2018

Churning out the 15mm Blue Moon figures.

I did manage to get through quite a few activation draws on the game from the previous post, the random draw worked well, the British dice came up first two draws so the light infantry and rifles managed to push on and occupy two thirds of the town before the French had a chance to react. This was followed by two French dice which allowed the French Grenadiers to occupy the other town hex, setting up a battle to take overall control. Cavalry were moved up in support as the bulk of the infantry plodded forward (this is one thing I need to address as they need to able to make some sort of quick march move to avoid getting left behind). Artillery opened fire on both sides and the British lights, with commander attached and rolling the additional dice, forced the French Grenadiers to retreat from the town hex giving the British complete control of the three hexes. But the French were now in a position to counterattack.

At this point there was a slight interruption to play. I was expecting my wife back home, I got a call to open the electronic gate and peered over the terrace, in came a 9 seater hire car and out jumped wife, two of our daughters and three Grandaughters...... "surprise Grandad". So lovely to see them all of course, but I had to rush inside and get the figures and game board out of the reach of the two little ones so quickly packed everything away. No problem though, that has given me the appetite to continue this project.

Taking a step back and looking at the pics below I know that I want to create a new custom made board for this game, based on a 3 x 4 lightweight framed board that can utilise some basic scenic items such as buildings, hills, roads and streams etc. The purpose of the new set up will be to enable me to play through the One Hour Wargame scenarios as said before.

So, with this in mind I have decided that for more visual impact I need larger units, I'll start by doubling everything up, so 8 figures for infantry etc. If you recall I said I wan't planning full size units, but as I did have command packs, and feeling in the mood to paint some Peninsular officers in those lovely bicornes I knocked up the eight figures you see below, and still feeling in the mood for something a bit colourful I followed up with eight Legere figures. I can really punch out these 15mm's now, that was 16 infantry in two days and I also managed to paint a couple of buildings, 3 more British Dragoons and another British commander over the next couple of days.  Sitting on washers awaiting painting are currently more Highlanders, more French Grenadiers and Legere.

Talk about going full circle! We shall see where this takes us, but at the moment I can't stop churning out 15mm figures.

Awake early this Sunday morning to listen to the Tyson Fury fight and to see the kids off to catch the flight home. Sunrise over Monte Corona from the bedroom window at 7am.

More lovely Blue Moons.

Bases need finishing off.

Did I say that I wasn't going to do full units!

First couple of Battlefront houses painted. Not 'Spanish' but great anyway.

Can't stop churning them out!

Lovely little command figure.

9 comments:

  1. No plan survives contact.

    I find that figures which are a joy to paint can be hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there Ross, these little Blue Moons have temporarily halted production of the 40mm's and look so much more playable.

      Delete
  2. If on a 15mm roll, then go with it and maximise productivity, nothing like a new project and enthusiasm to spark interest. The Blue Moon do look rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you well know Norm I have painted and sold off so many projects over the years,but I still have a hankering for something like that original 6mm C&C set up, but with 15mm figures. I'm very much interested in the concept of 'miniaturising' a gridded game with a custom made board, neatly framed and finished on which I can use these figures with basic scenic items. It's getting that balance between grid size and number of figures that actually looks 'right' while keeping the board small and portable that I'm mulling over at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, I do like Blue moon figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. The Blue Moons are nice slim little figures, I'd say more 15mm than 18mm, and robust enough to be handled a lot. I think Andy sold the original 'Old Glory' range to Timecast who now sell them, and if you compare the two ranges I think the BM's are much crisper and better detailed.

      Delete
  4. Lee, this sounds very much like mission creep - but what the heck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I'm sure you have seen me do this so many times over the years, starts small and then grows and grows! This time what I paint is to keep for myself!

      Delete
  5. If you're having fun that's all that really matters, not convinced you'll keep them on your past form!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.