Thursday 3 May 2012

More buildings.

I finished a couple more 'village' bases last night. Each base has space for a 60 x 60mm battalion/regiment base plus an artillery base. By joining a couple together I can represent larger BUA's such as small towns which will occupy more troops. I'm pleased with the overall look of them so far.

My scenic materials have arrived from 'Totalwargamer' so I can also crack on with edging more road sections and making more fields etc. Very good service from this company as always, been using them for a couple of years now as almost everything is slightly discounted including the Citadel paints range which I am gradually changing over to from Foundry. Stream sections are next in line after that.

I have another Highland battalion about half way finished, this time with yellow facings representing the 92nd.

Rules.
I have been doing a lot of thinking about rules as I get close to my first test game. I keep on coming back to Paul Lennistons set as I really like the mechanics of the rules, which are heavily influenced by Le Fea Sacre. I'm wondering if I could adapt them for 6mm bases and battalion/brigade level and have been jotting down notes to this end. Having been following Paul and his wargames blogs for a long time now I have a good understanding of how well they work, and the emphasis is very much on the 'game'. I may well try a test run though soon. Paul's 'Napoleonic wargaming' site is in the blog links on the right from where you can find links to his many campaign games and his rules.

The three terrors!
Did I say that the two planned kittens turned into three? We decided to give the last of the litter a home too,  I call them the three little terrors, but they are very beautiful, very funny and very good, not having had a single 'accident' since arriving home on Saturday. All three managed to climb up onto my painting table yesterday together, so I have to put the paints etc on top of the bookshelves when not in use now!




6 comments:

  1. Those look great Lee! Could I suggest popping a couple of trees on each base just for affect? Lovely looking terrain pieces.
    I've read Paul's rules too but to be honest I only skimmed through them so I'm not too 'up' on them. Perhaps you could explain the mechanics of the rules to us 'can't be bothered to read' brigade.
    Keep up the great work mate
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    I was thinking that myself, they need a couple more trees although there are infact a couple of small ones already on there but you cant see them properly in those pics.

    Re Pauls rules, its funny as I first came across Paul back in the late eighties when he wrote a couple of articles for one of the wargame magazines (can't remember which one now). Since he and his wife moved to Spain a few years ago I have been following his games and write ups etc and got to know him. Like others I'm not keen on his use of small units to represent large formations (8 figure infantry units and 4 fiure cavlary units) but I understand why he does it as his main aim is to have lots of space for maneuvering several army Corps around the table which works well. I'll post some notes on those rules at some stage Steve to explain how they work.

    Cheers mate. Btw, your blogs down? I assume you are working on it?

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee
      I changed the URL of the blog. The new one is http://wwwsteveswargamestuff.blogspot.co.uk/

      Steve

      Delete
    2. Now why has that reply spaced out like that? weird.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Lee (the terrain and the kittens that is). I'll be interested for your views on various rules as you try them. As you know we use our own house rules for our 6mm ACW games which create a fun and fast game involving lots of manoeuvre. Napoleonic rules are always much harder to write though!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ian,

      I'll be glad once I find a set of rules that I can commit myself to. I have in mind what I am looking for from future games and I'm sure the rules are out there somewhere!

      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.