Sunday 14 October 2018

British cavalry on parade in Spain!

I have just finished the basing off this morning which completes the first eight British Heavy Dragoons. I do have another eight in the pipeline, but they will probably be pushed back until later in the year as my plan is to finish off all of the infantry of both sides first and then to paint the first eight of the line Chassuers a Cheval castings that I have here.

I'm pleased with how these turned out, I built the red up to a nice bright orange red highlight which seems to set them off. I did make one cock up, the trumpeters head was stuck onto another trooper and I failed to notice it until only yesterday when they were all based up and varnished! Shaz and I popped out for an afternoon drink and I was clearly pre occupied as she said to to me " You're still thinking about those heads aren't you?" I knew they had to be swapped and decided to go for it when I got home later, and it was with much trepidation that I prized the damn things off and stuck them back on again. Not perfect, but after a bit of cleaning up and retouching I was glad that I did it.

So here they are, I'm not which regiment they will represent yet. The breeches were repainted white and then washed over with a grey wash before highlighting with ivory, I think they look about right now. I'm trying to improve my horse painting method, still not 100% but getting better. I think they have real impact in 40mm scale, they are big chunky castings, and I thought it would be nice to show them with the Light Dragoons as this represents the British cavalry so far completed.

Next up are three more British command figures then eight line flank company, four per battalion to finish them off. This will give me four battalions each of 24 rank and file, 2 standard bearers, a drummer, a foot officer and a mounted commander. In addition there is the twelve figure unit representing the 60th Rifles. After that I need to just add a few more French command figures to complete five battalions organised as per the British, each of 29 figures total plus a unit of 16 Voltiguers. It's all starting to come together now slowly. I might then add more guns to bring the artillery up to battery strength of 3 guns per side. Further down the line I want to do a British Light infantry battalion and may well go with Perry Miniatures for these as they do really nice figures in loading and firing poses which will make a neat close order battalion. Perry's are somewhat expensive at £4.25 per figure (?) but I think they will be worth it.










Friday was 'Columbus Day' here in Spain, Spanish National day, the second public holiday of the week as Tuesday was Christians and Moors commemorations day! 12 public holidays a year here, and everything closes except the bars and restaurants of course. It's family time as generations eat and drink together in a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. Shaz and I booked for Paella at our favourite little bar, we have been in Spain now for 7 months and here in Ador for only about 4 months but we already feel like locals here and always get a warm welcome when we walk in to Ca Elsa. There is something very special about the warmth of the Spanish people that we love, everyone talks to you and smiles at you.







14 comments:

  1. It all sounds delightful. Oh, and very nice figures too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stokes. The one thing that has really struck us about life in Spain is just how friendly everyone seems to be. We are not living in a typical tourist or ex pat community so we have quickly learned to integrate with the locals.

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't want to be a French infantryman standing in front of these gentlemen!

    The Perry figures are superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. I keep looking at the Perry range for my planned light infantry battalion and to add a few extra characters, expensive though but worth it I think.

      Delete
  3. That paella looks scrumptious... and the cavalry aren't bad either! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. The paella was indeed delicious, it's a speciality of the place but nothing fancy just great food at very reasonable prices, 18 euros a generous meal for two, chef brings it to the table himself with great pride and a huge smile. All the bars and restaurants here have a custom, when you leave a tip a bell is wrung and all the staff cheer loudly, great fun!

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking figures matey, what rules were you planning to use with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM. Still not certain about what rules to use yet but I prefer simpler old school rules.

      Delete
  5. Superb work, 'Lee. The sunshine and Paella look rather god too.
    All the best
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks WM. I'm enjoying my painting time again. Sitting in the sun eating Paella is something I can get used to :)

      Delete
  6. Getting together a respectable collection there ! But then you did get a good start- nice painting on those British cavalry- good horses especially

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy, I sure did get a good start, doubt I would have found the motivation to start from scratch but I'm really enjoying painting these 40mm's.

      Delete
  7. A splendid and impressive cavalry, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking heavies, lovely looking British cavalry and a nice lunch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.