Saturday 25 March 2017

US Airborne 'Easy Company' & back to terrain.

With the house ready to go up for sale it's a somewhat unsettling time - I really struggle with strangers walking about my home - but my hobby room remains as it is and I intend to get some games in before it's time to pack up. Over this weekend I'm going to re-flock my two boards that make up the 4' x 5' 6" permanent table, something I have been meaning to do for some time, in order to achieve a more realistic overall look, and then get it set up for a game. The Total Systems Scenic 'space saver' boards and hills etc have been stored away for future use with my French and Indian War collection, also boxed up and stored.

I'm not good at writing up games, I tend to get too bogged down in the detail, and have been giving this a bit of thought. I think the answer may well be to approach it as if I'm describing a live action as it unfolds, leaving out the long winded rule descriptions and focusing upon the development of the battle, so I intend to give this a try soon as the table is ready.

This week I completed the figures that represent my US Airborne platoon, based of course upon 'Easy Company' from the Band of Brothers series. My platoon comprises 42 Battlefront figures, the plastics from the 'Open Fire' box set augmented with the metal 'Easy Company' pack. Rifle/MG teams supported by a mortar section and bazooka team. They are rated as Fearless/Veterans under Flames of War and can be a tough nut to crack, especially when dug in or in cover.

Inspiration when painting this unit was provided by scenes such as this one, where Richard 'Dick' Winters is shown exhorting his men to keep up their rate of fire in a style reminiscent of a Civil War commander.


Winters in 2004.








IN addition to the above I also painted up a few resin wall sections, a quick drybrush of grey followed by ivory then a bit of flocking and some flower blooms for effect.  The sections are by 'Small Terrain, Miniature Scenery' via eBay.



And the last of my 4Ground buildings was finished off, I very much enjoy making up these MDF kits now, I might have to grab a couple more!



I'm also experimenting with adding Cullen Hedgerow cutters to a spare Sherman. I have several more Shermans to build. The cutters are white metal castings bought for just £2.00 for 5 via eBay. These will add to my Sherman 'Dozer' and the Crab flail (anti mine device) Sherman kit on it's way.
















9 comments:

  1. Beautiful figures...and I love your walls, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Lee, lots of really smart mini's there. I'll need to get you to tell me how you did the ivy and the posters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. Here is a quick 'how to add Ivy' post from the blog, I use the Noch leaf as it's most realistic if a tad expensive.

      http://napoleonictherapy.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/more-french-infantry-how-to-add-ivy-to.html

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done, a lot of packing to do! I will look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you John, moving is daunting but will be worth it in the end.

      Delete
  4. I really must dig out Band of Brothers again for a re-watch.. thanks for the reminder.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, it remains a favourite of mine.

      Delete
  5. I have some US Airborne in 28mm that I've been a bit torn as to have portray as the 101st or the less storied 82nd.

    Hope they look as nice as your 15mm efforts Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.