Saturday 18 March 2017

Reining myself in!

I went a bit crazy last weekend, as my head filled with visions of vast numbers of 28mm ACW's and a return to Johnny Reb. I had also been planning an expansion into a 15mm British army for Flames of War. However this week has seen a reality check as I contemplate the future, and as a result I'm in more sensible mode now and my plans have been scaled back. Fact is that the upstairs hobby room is crammed with figures and terrain already, despite the sale of all my Bolt Action stuff and my 15mm Soviets, Most of the cash was ploughed back into Front Rank FIW figures, more 'Battlefront' terrain ( rural and cobbled roads, railway track, town square etc), and a hefty purchase of Renegade ACW's. I have had to remind myself that the ACW project was intended for Sharp Practice, and that about 60 figures per side was all that was required, at least initially, so I'm going to stick to that.

 As for Flames of War, I have made up my mind to stick with US v Germans, Normandy Campaign and to continue to flesh out those lists. I'm adding to my 2nd Armoured Division with trucks to transport the infantry, more Sherman's (don't need them but have them and enjoy building them), and a platoon of Airborne from the 'Open Fire' box. I was looking for more of the plastic Airborne figures on eBay when I came across this wonderful set of 'Easy Company' characters, metal 'Battlefront' castings which will fill out the ranks of the platoon perfectly. I also ordered some metal Cullen hedge cutters to fit to a few of the Shermans, useful for cutting through that Bocage.
Battlefront 'Easy Company' characters from 'Band of Brothers', can't wait for them to arrive!


I finished off the first 8 American Civil War figures earlier in the week, adding bread bags and canteen straps, the next 8 are primed and ready.




I also built the 4Ground model of Cafe Gondree, took just a couple of hours this one, it's a level 4 kit but I found it very straightforward once I worked out that some parts had been mis numbered on the instruction sheet. Chimneys a bit fiddly, so many tiny parts, but I guess I'm used to these MDF kits by now.




Oh, and the point of this post was that we are planning a move to Spain, a permanent move that we have been planning and researching for several years. We have settled upon Valencia and started learning the language. Recent weeks have been busy preparing the house for sale, much upheaval with painting and new carpets, clearing out the loft and garage. We are now at the point of engaging solicitors both here and in Spain, the time is right for us to make this move and we have a long checklist of things to do. It's a daunting but exciting prospect, there will be less and less hobby time in the weeks ahead, thus the need to reign myself in and be more realistic.

16 comments:

  1. Wow - that's quite an announcement. Good for you, my man - go for it. I'm looking out of the window at the horizontal rain, shivering. Valencia sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow indeed! Blimey.. good luck with the move.. it'll be so warm there you may need to start researching wet palettes now! :o)

      PS. As I know these things are also important to you.. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187529-d3600921-r163943382-Portland_Ale_House-Valencia_Province_of_Valencia_Valencian_Country.html :o))

      Delete
    2. Thank you chaps, it's been some time in the planning and the time is right for us now. We are focused upon two areas in Valencia, both are beautiful.

      Steve, of all the things we have researched I overlooked the beer situation!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think 'grounding oneself' every now and again re the number and size of projects is a must for some of us, though I think terrain more than armies are the things that put the most pressure on storage space. The Spain move sounds exciting, I think they have quite a vibrant wargame scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norm - it's easy to get carried away with so many lovely figures on the market.

      Delete
  3. Wow Lee that's quite a big bit of news! Having just gone through the process of moving myself (although to the frozen northern wastes rather than sunny Spain) I don't envy you the process although I'm sure the results will be worth it. Just one hint - pack the soldiers first as enthusiasm for packing starts to drop off the more you do and they will need your full attention to survive. I used Really Useful pencil boxes packed out with prolly beads - seems to have worked! I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - there is so much to think about, a bit of a logistical nightmare, but my wife is the practical one and she said to leave the organisation to her!

      Delete
  4. Spain? Good lord! I would be totally intimidated by the thought of moving to a foreign country with a foreign​ language but I understand that a noticable number of people do enjoy it. I suppose that if it is to be done, t'were best done before Brexit?
    In any case, may good fortune attend you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross. It's now or never for us, and we have always loved Spain and it's people.

      Delete
  5. Yeh, good for you Lee, Valencia does indeed sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tad warmer than Dymchurch Ray :)

      Delete
  6. Best of luck, 'Lee. I admire your courage. Moving to NZ was bad enough and they speak English here (sort of)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers WM, we are working hard on our Spanish as we don't intend to be in an expat dominated area, we want to embrace the Spanish culture.

      Delete
  7. ¿¡España?! Looking for a warmer climate then Lee? Soundsort like a smart idea. Cheaper standard of living too I'd imagine. We'll it's a large task ahead of you but it'll be worth it in the end I'm sure. I'm excited to see the first hobby post from Valencia! Good luck!

    I too have had to reign in my spending urges. Almost bought into the Batman Minis game after watching Suicide Squad... like I need yet another pile of unpainted minis for yet another game I'll likely play twice in a year!

    Those Confederates look very smart. Excited to see the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dai, climate has been a big driving factor, but rising house prices here and low house prices in Valencia is also in our favour. It's not so far, flights are cheap for the family to come and stay whenever they want to, so it's all good. Private pool also high on the agenda :)

      Delete
  8. Those Confederates look ace, Spain? Blimey my sister is in France and most of the brits being of a mature age are preparing to come back because they couldn't afford the private medical if that comes in post brexit, good choice though I've been working out there a bit for the last two years and I have to say I like it. Good luck anyway.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.