Sunday 26 February 2017

Normandy themed StuG G platoon.

I wanted to give this platoon of Sturmgeschütz a specific Normandy campaign theme, late model StuG G with remote controlled machine gun and the' pigsnout' gun mantlet. Photos of the period often depict them covered in foliage and with rear decks stacked up with stowage. These are Battelfront models and fit together very quickly and easily. I added a few shot holes to the Schürzen standoff side armour, and also a few dings and scrapes. I'm pleased with the overall finish, although I need to improve the foliage (can't find my Noch leaf) and add aerials (run out of Superglue).





I also completed the last 2 models for my Panzer mk4 platoon, again Battlefront models. These are the late war model H with Schürzen and turret stand off armour. 5mm thick, it was designed to deflect armour piercing shot, reducing it's ability to penetrate the main armour.

Bases require finishing.



I decided that I wanted to add an additional platoon of Shermans to my US 2nd Armoured Division list and then to expand into Brits. I looked at the plethora of plastic shermans on offer on eBay before spotting the old 'Open Fire' sets on offer for £31.00 with free postage. This represents superb value as it contains 8 Shermans, 3 StuG's, two pak40 anti tank guns, a platoon of US Airborne plus 2 platoons of German Grenadiers. It also includes the v2 rocket and launcher, dice, bases and starter rules. I note that the V3 Flames of War rules have been removed with the imminent arrival of V4. The plastic figures are very good indeed and a match for my Peter Pig metals so all will eventually get used. For anyone looking to get started in Flames of War I can't recommend this set highly enough, especially at it's current low price to clear.




Casting around on eBay, I spotted these 4 resin and metal Firefly's as I'll be needing a couple for my planned Brits, and was amazed to get them for the Princely sum of £7 the lot!


And still on the Flames of War theme I added the village/town squares as seen below to my collection, I really like the representation of the cobbles and I'm looking for a suitable 15mm fountain or statue to place in the centre.... any ideas? These of course tie in with my cobbled road sections. I also ordered a damaged church from 4Ground in MDF, a lovely little model to 4Ground's usual high standards, very detailed kit.




Currently on the table for this week is a 6 base German infantry platoon.



11 comments:

  1. Looking good Lee - glad you didn't go with the lichen or clump foliage, I always think that looks a little naff. Tempted by the village squares myself, but still not sold on the 4ground church. Will end up with one, no doubt, but the steeple isn't right (too big a hole) and there are walls missing - so rubble would have to be made...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James - I still think the village squares are a little overpriced, and one would have done! But they are nicely done and integrate well with the other cobbled roads. Just received the 4Ground church along with a couple of other kits, should help dress up the table. You have wondering now what would make convincing 15mm rubble?

      Delete
  2. Lee, airfix in 1/72 do a resin fountain that is very nice. It may be larger than you want. it has gone out of production but is still available. here is a link that shows the thing plus dimensions.

    http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/europeancityfountain172scaleresindiorama-28119.php?products_id=28119

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, that's a great product just slightly concerned about the size, but it would sit nicely in the centre of the cobbles.... I'm tempted.

      Delete
  3. Love those Stug's very much... for the centre of the square - on the assumption this is northern France then any statue is going to hark back to WWI I suspect, so I'd go for any big/28mm model of a WWI poilu... then dry brush it dark bronze and stand it on a plinth.. having said that I think Norm is on the button - most village squares (looking on Google) have a fountain/well/water source..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. That's a good idea re 28mm figure statue on a plinth, I'm looking around for ideas now.

      Delete
  4. OK. so had a measure up on the cobbled square and the 100mm fountain fits well, so have one on order now, thanks very much Norm for that link :)

    Now who does an upright piano in 15mm !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For rubble can I suggest old school and go plasticine and plaster of paris? When I made the rubble lumps for my WWII skirmish set up I just pressed a hole in a lump of plasticine the right size for the pile I want, and then used an off cut of balsa that I had trimmed the end of to about the size of a 15mm brick, and just pressed it into the edges of the hole all round, doesn't need to be neat (rubble isn't!), and then fill with plaster of paris.. jobs a good'un... if you cut the plasticine in half, and line one edge with card you have rubble that can be put against a wall to represent falling bricks.. coat of PVA, undercoat black, heavy dry brush brick red, and a light brush of grey and ready too go.. can't help with the piano.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a project I could enjoy Steve, cheers for that :)

      Delete
  6. I have the old unpainted 4ground church and it's very nice. Yet to pick up any of their ruined buildings though.

    The new tanks look fantastic! I like the placement of stowage that you'd done. Your painting is definitely getting better by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dai :) Have completed the church and will have pics up shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.