Friday 7 July 2023

New look, new commission!

I spent a little spare time this week working on giving the old blog a bit of a make over. I have added a dedicated Warlord Epic tab and also a YouTube channel tab featuring a few of the most popular and recent videos and a link to the full channel. As I have now sorted out my camera and tripod I intend to do a few painting tutorials going forward, probably around the Epic strips and my quick painting method.

My latest 3mm Ancient army for DBA is coming along nicely with the six bases of Phalangites which form the central Phalanx completed plus the two bases of Auxiliaries which will protect the flanks. This army is Late Macedonian Successor period and I have chosen the army of Ptolemy Keraunos (280 -279 BC) to model as it gives me an elephant command base. I spent a lot of time researching the mercenary figures and settled on the illustration below (Roman style shields and dress), and it seems to work OK in 3mm scale! Next I need two cavalry bases, one heavy ('Knights in DBA) which will utilise some of the Cataphracts I have here to distinguish them. 




Command elephant base borrowed from my Carthaginian army.


New Commission. With the Epic ACW's now winding down I'm really pleased to say that I have a new long term commission to replace it. It's a period I have long been interested in but never painted. It's an all metal figure project in 20mm scale using Qualiticast figures. I think in the region of 600 plus castings (I have not yet had time to open the huge box!), the majority of them being mounted. The period? It's PONY WARS and I'm really looking forward to getting started on them in August, especially the opportunity to paint those lovely Indian ponies. The figures all come pre undercoated in matt black which is very useful. One week per month will be dedicated to this project replacing the ACW slot. Obviously more about this as I unpack and have a look through the figures. 

The remainder of this month will be spent finishing off the ACW's for shipping then metal Peter Pig ECW's and my first shot at the new Epic Pike & Shot, 4 infantry sprues for Noel.

9 comments:

  1. Your 3mm is looking meaty as the sense of mass builds. Nice change to move onto the pony wars, you must be ACW’d out by now 🙂 also interested to see how you get on with the Epic ECW, as I know your initial impression was mixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norm. You are right about my initial impression of the Pike and Shot strips and to be honest I have seen nothing to change my mind as yet. However I'm keen to paint them to see if it changes my opinion and I will try to approach them in a more historical manner as I see so many painted in garish colours which is a shame. Good thing is it's clearly bringing in lots of new blood to the period, I saw a post yesterday, guy has purchased the starter box set but said he knew nothing about the period and how to approach it. I'll also keep the basing style simple as I'm seeing so many photos of brightly coloured figures strolling knee deep though what looks like a flower meadow, tufts gone mad :) I have the initial 4 sprues for next week and I'm going to enjoy painting them. Just a last thought about what I have typed above, we are talking about 13.5mm soldiers and of course on my laptop screen they appear far bigger, I need to keep that in perspective!
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
    2. I had a go at painting a strip and thought that contrast paint eas a quick easy way to do the bandoliers.

      Delete
  2. The Phalanx look great, personally I always reckon the DBA pike should be the same number of double elements so they don't always get outflanked. Lack of heavy infantry frontage rarely seems to be a problem for the Successors. To even things up I would not allow them to turn to face the flank if contacted in the flank i.e., would fight with a zero combat factor.
    Qualiticast 20mm figures? How did your customer get hold of lots of those? They've been OOP for ages now. Can't wait to see them though as Pony Wars is one of my all time favourite rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I may well add further elements of pike, if only to use up more of the 60 strap pack! I see so many DBA games where everything is laid out in a single line of side by side elements and it is just not historical. My republican Romans for example (which I have greatly expanded) even at it's its basic 12 elements MUST be deployed in historical 3 deep formation or it's just looks and feels wrong to me. OK for me as just buggering about solo not playing competitive games :)

      Going to open the huge heavy box today, 600 metal figures layered in sawdust, Mark warned me that things could get messy! I have seen a couple of example photos of the figures but not seen them in the flesh yet so I'll write up my first impression as a blog post.

      Delete
  3. “Variety is the spice of life” and “a change is as good as a rest” were my first thoughts. Hopefully the change will be a bit of a break for you Lee.
    I look forward to seeing how you get on with the Pony Wars project. Will the cavalry troopers be ‘neat and pristine’ or have the more realistic look of soldiers “on campaign”?
    Your 3mm army is coming on well. Great stuff. Maybe you could use some of your ancient British as Galatians? Worth investigating I’d have thought.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, you mentioned that MM made 3mm Indians the other day? I was not aware of that so went and had a look, full range but sadly no photos yet! That's done it, another future army now :) I wonder what other 3mm delights are buried within that massive webstore?

      Not opened the Pony wars project yet as it's going to be a job in itself, 600 metal figures, mostly cavalry layered in sawdust. Looking forward to it though.

      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
    2. When it comes to the look of Pony Wars the old WHC collection is what always springs to my mind - still to be seen at: https://www.wargameshc.co.uk/the-pony-wars-collection/

      Delete
    3. Rob, and that has been firmly in my mind since first discussing the project! I will most certainly be taking a look at the link for inspiration! Cheers.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.