Friday 30 June 2023

3D Napoleonics (13.5mm Epic scale) and 3mm Phalanx!

OK, so that's 6 regiments of Epic cavalry and 7 battalions of infantry posted off for Tony2 and this week I'm painting another 5 x 60 figure Confederate units (4 down last one today). for Chris in NZ. Thats the last of the Rebs almost finished leaving just 240 Union infantry and 21 guns and crews to complete the commission bang on schedule. Once finished and shipped I'll be starting the first 4 Epic Pike and Shot foot regiments for Noel in Ireland having finishing his ACW Epic commission too last month, around 1200 infantry plus 12 guns and crews and additional command bases using the metal Warlord strips. I'm glad Noel wants to move onto ECW as I was quite keen to paint some to see what I could do with them! I'll then catch up with 15mm metal Peter Pig ECW's before returning to Waterloo Epic for Tony who has sent me a long list of additional French units he required over the coming few months so keeping busy and no complaints.

Allied cavalry, Dutch/Belgians and Brunswick.




Among the final  figures for the Waterloo project are these rather fine resin printed 3D British skirmishing light infantry that turned up in the post a couple of weeks back or so. I have seen numerous 3D Napoleonics but must say these are among the best in terms of match to Epic scale (13.5mm) and quality detail. The bayonets for example are very fine but quite springy and not too brittle. I think they will paint up well when I get round to them. 12 bases of 4 figures required.




For myself - with limited hobby time - I'm starting on a 3mm Macedonian DBA army (my sixth) beginning with the 6 Phalanx bases. Because these strips are cast 'side on' facing front with shield on the left arm I had considered removing and replacing the pikes with longer ones, which could be done as I did a test strip but the prospect of replacing 300 of them was too daunting so I'm settling on the 12mm cast pikes which are in all honestly about right for 3mm figures! I cut the 8 man strips in half and squeezed 48 figure on the standard 15mm x 40mm DBA base for a pleasing look. Alongside the Macedonians I'll be painting a Parthian army consisting of a couple of Cataphract bases and 10 horse archer bases. I'm also working on the  board stage by stage as and when I can.






8 comments:

  1. Lee, this link might interest you, it is another group doing ‘big battle’ Epic for a Gettysburg project. LINK

    http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com/2023/06/black-powder-epic-gettysburg-160.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, that is really quite something Norm! Thank you.
      Made me smile to think that I'm now committed to wargaming in the smallest of spaces - 2'square - with just 12 elements of troops :)
      All the best,
      Lee.

      Delete
  2. You’re really making progress with the 3mm armies Lee. I see Magister Militum also make Indians - another good potential enemy. That would also allow you to “morph” into a Graeco-Indian force. And, using some of the cataphract types, a Graeco-Roman-Bactrian one too. The only problem is … where do you stop? Still, you’re making progress and have plenty of options. As long as you enjoy the painting, gaming and researching that’s all that really matters 😉😎
    Cheers,
    Geoff
    Ps/ one of these days my Google account WILL work… 🙁😤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff. Certainly a lot of potential for future armies. Parthians will follow the Macedonians :)
      Cheers
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. I continue to be amazed at your productivity as it has taken me half a year to paint a single DBA army! You seem to have got the Epic stuff down to a fine art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. Like any 'job' I guess you get better at it with practice! Certainly I have found a good method of bashing out the Epics now.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking Napoleonics and your phlanx looks great, I've got dome 3d painted limbers and guns , I'm intrigued to find out how they will paint up!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The detail of the 3D prints is so fine I just worry how durable its going to be, they have a long journey to make once finished, Portugal via Northern Ireland!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.