Monday 18 October 2021

6mm Crimean War - a decision on basing.

 As I paint through a couple more ECW foot regiments for Graham I'm also doing a bit here and there on the 6mm's. This range has really grown on me, nice crisp castings with plenty of detail that seems to emerge as I paint. I was not sure how or even if I wanted to stick them onto large unit bases as I'm less keen these days on 2mm bases with 6mm figures. My solution was to try using thin plastic about half a mil thick but stiff enough to do the job and cuts easily with a craft knife. I gave the bases a coat of green paint to help key the PVA glue  before adding fine grit and a touch of static grass, all in all I'm happy with the results. So far there are two Russian infantry regiments, British Guards, Highlanders and line and a base of Lancers. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of The Portable wargame on the good old folding card table that might just scratch that gaming itch again and I'm brimming with idea for it! I'll knock up a couple more Russian units then do some British riflemen (superb little sculpts these), and British Command base. I also have the Scots Greys to do and will order up some Russian Cavalry and the first artillery. Excellent customer service from Irregular Miniatures, arrived 3 days after ordering.

Edit: You know what, I'm going to have to make the cavalry up to 24 figures so they match the frontage of the infantry bases! Should also make them more impressive.







10 comments:

  1. Looking good and agree about having thinner bases for the 6mm, in fact I prefer thin plastic on 15’s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it makes a difference Norm or will do when placed on the terrain.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are enjoying this bunch of 6mm stuff, they look great, The base choice seems a logical one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM. Yes, I had to base them really and the thinner plastic card works for me :)

      Delete
  3. Some good looking units you have painted up and based. The thinner base does look better. I guess you pick up the figures rather than the base when moving them around the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Peter, pick the infantry up by the central flags, cavalry by the outside figures so far. I want the bases to integrate into the planned board surface.

      Delete
  4. I used 1mm plasticard on my 6mm ACW for exactly the same reason. These look great Lee - will you get the train?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have been so engrossed in MDF over the years Ian that I had forgotten there were alternatives! Been looking through the Irregular catalogue and there is much to choose from going forward, the train is one but then there are French and Turkish :)

      Delete
  5. Lee,
    They look really good and yes you’re right we forget older modelling solutions! The plasticard will work really well. Keep at it I’m sure this project will satisfy that itch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, I'm enjoying myself with these 6mm's again.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.