Sunday 24 October 2021

1st Regiment of Foot Guards.

There is something special about the British Foot Guards and I was delighted to be able to paint these splendid castings for Tony. Les Higgins and PMD (Phoenix Models Development) 20mm figures.  Finished in a Gloss varnish it was the first time I had applied Gloss in many years and was a little nervous as I applied it (Valleyo) but it dried very quickly to nice clear coat. Tony will apply a second coat of his 'house varnish' when they arrive home. Photos below include a couple of 'before' images, the Gloss really does bring out the strong colours. For information the red coats were built up from the black primer coat with Cavalry Brown (my go to dark red  with excellent coverage over black), Flat Red mid tones then pure Scarlet highlights. The mounted and foot officer then had a final touch of Aramanth Red which is an Orange Red for that slightly superior quality cloth look. As always I ask myself if I would be happy to have them in my own collection (if I had one these days!) and that is quality test for everything I paint.

Schombergs Horse coming next for Tony.














Below shows them 'in the flesh' as it were pre gloss varnish.






4 comments:

  1. Great work Lee - Tony is a lucky boy! Gloss varnish really does work wonders on red and in my case helps to hide any imperfections in the paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely brushwork as usual! Agreed that gloss really adds that extra cherry on top to figures. I am an enthusiastic user of acrylic gloss myself.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look superb, wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.