Friday 10 January 2020

Looking back at Bolt Action.

The one thing I regret about this blog is that I failed to set up labels so that it is relatively easy to dig up long buried posts. I was talking about Bolt Action recently with somebody who has expressed a strong interest in playing the game which led me to looking back into my early experiences with the game around early 2016. Whilst I did sell off the majority of the collection a couple of years later I did retain enough figures for two 1500 point armies, German and American, which have not seen the light of day since! I think at the time I just went completely OTT buying everything I could get my hands on as I became sucked into the Warlord Games marketing strategy, you started with a cheap plastic box set and then a whole world of wonderful metal figures and resin vehicles was opened up to you. The armies became huge, the vehicle collection grew beyond anything I would ever fit on a table and of course I then moved onto a vast Soviet army and then Berlin and the Hitler Youth and on and on it went.

A short time ago I tried to get into a Winter themed project for Tank Wars, but quickly tired of it once I tried assembling the plastic box set of Winter Soviet infantry, most of which ended up in the bin. Yesterday I unpacked what's left of the Bolt Action stuff, mostly plastic infantry and tanks, and felt that tingle of enthusiasm, enough to make me seriously think about giving it another shot with the prospect of an opponent keen to learn the game.

Don't be at all surprised if you see Late War Bolt Action battle posted soon and in the meantime here are some shots from back then featuring my OTT collection in action for those who have not seen them before.



















8 comments:

  1. It is such a photogenic scale - lovely shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, yes I agree that WW2 in 28mm does indeed offer some great photographic opportunities, I especially like the shots of the Germans moving up behind the hedgerows. The Warlord plastic Germans are particularly well animated and detailed, far better than their metals for some reason.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking bolt action armies! As to the model shop in Rochester, I had to go to Chatham for work a fair amount and I would grab some lunch in Rochester, pop into the model shop and buy something and then go and sit on the M25 for a few hours!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, mention of the dreaded M25 makes me shudder, lost count of the number of times I got stuck in traffic on that motorway!

      Delete
  3. welcome home Lee, glad to see you ok, are you open to painting stuff again for me, i'm still on my email address cunnjogat aoldot com, let me know when youcan
    cheers John C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, really nice to hear from you again. I'll send you an email later, I still need to apologise for the way I sent back that last batch of figures, I can only say that things are much better now days. Hope you are keeping well yourself.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee, no worries i knew that you weren't in a good place at the time, looking forward to your email, me am reasonablly ok getting old!! but youthfully still gaming, collecting, cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoops just noticed my email address i sent missed typed, should be cunnjohat aoldot com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.