Friday 3 January 2020

A life long addiction to model soldiers!


I will be the first to admit that I am addicted to painting and collecting model soldiers, and have been since I first discovered them around the age of 15. I may have taken a few short breaks here and there but I always returned with fresh enthusiasm and motivation. And so it begins again, this time driven by the fact that I really want to get some wargaming in this year and to do so I needed to find a more modest project that fits around my current domestic situation and the space that I have available. The house is busy again, with my youngest daughter having moved back home and her partner dividing his time between here and his parents where he is learning a trade working with his Dad, and our other daughters dropping round with the grand daughters and the sleep overs, this is just what we were missing in Spain.

The 40mm's remain in their travel boxes upstairs, although I hope to get a display unit for them at some point. The fact is that at the moment, much as I love them, I just don't see myself tackling the building of terrain for them and all of the disruption that would bring, they are just too big! I'll continue to paint and expand them but am now turning my attention to a completely new project that features a return to 6mm scale figures.

Rather than take this blog on yet another diversion I have decided to keep the 40mm theme going here and to start a new one for the new project where I hope that I can be more flexible and post about other things as and when I feel like doing so. So without further ado, here is the link, and if you care to take a look that would be most kind of you.

Horse, Foot and Guns -  a new blog for 2020.

12 comments:

  1. Lee, I tried commenting on your new blog but it only allows Google Accounts and I don't have one; my comment was:
    I think three ranks deep is ideal for WSS if you want that battle painting look - wait a minute I'm getting a sense of déjà vu here, on no that was ECW (King's Guard just about to be re-based with new flags). I assume with the base sizes you've bought that there will be multiple units (a brigade) on a base which also seems sensible as my 6mm Naps are multiple bases per unit and it takes a lot of moving and they always look scruffy in photos.
    What rules do you have in mind? May I suggest Twilight of the Sun King (aka TWIGLET), I have the TYW variant and it has an interesting game sequence /mechanics and seems ideally suited to big, grand tactical battles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the 6mm, I'll add the new blog to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be able to follow your journey on this ‘from scratch’ project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers again Norm.I knew that I had to do something fresh and the early tricorne era is just that for me, never done it before.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with your new project Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee
    I shall check out the new blog. Don't give up on the 40's - 28mm terrain works fine and if you use DBN then remember it represents a built up area so a building on a base with surroundings and space to accommodate one base 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Graham, I did see your previous comment re the 40's meant to reply. The 40mm's are not going anywhere, I love them too much! But when I totted up the cost of buying all the terrain for the scale I decided to take a break and do something more modest for the immediate future.

      Delete
  6. Hi Lee I did try and leave a comment earlier but it seems to have disappeared! Good luck with the new project, by coincidence I have just laid out the terrain for Shiloh in 6mm as I finally have all my stuff out of storage in the loft. I look forward to seeing your new armies develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, I think you left the comment on the new blog? Look forward very much to Shiloh in 6mm.

      Delete
  7. Best of luck with your 2020 projects

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.