Sunday 20 October 2019

Making a start on terrain.

With the cuirassiers now sitting on the display shelves I find myself with time on my hands as I wait for the British Marines and the 15 resin figures that will comprise my Royal Horse Artillery gun crews. Ian has asked for the base thickness to be reduced slightly and has asked Graham to reduce the print size by a couple of mm's each figure to bring them into line with Perry's and Sash & Sabre, I had noticed that the officer was a man of stature. Ian tells me that once this set are completed the designer Dan can do conversions for 30 euros per figure, so when I get to add a rocket battery base down the line the rocketeers can be converted from the existing RHA files.

So, what better time to make a start on some buildings as I had been planning. I had drawn out three basic Spanish style buildings a few weeks ago on foamboard and decided to begin with the church/chapel. I needed the buildings to be larger than existing 28mm ones on the market whilst still retaining a modest footprint, they needed to be taller to work with my 40mm figures. Buildings will be based on textured bases to match the figures.

Here is progress so far, the four main components being worked on with the front pretty much as I wanted it to look. Roofing is being given a lot of thought with corrugated card laid in overlapping strips being the favourite to date. I invite any ideas or thoughts on this project as it progresses. The other two buildings will be simple Spanish villa types to match and then I plan a kind of Moorish tower. I'm also planning to make vineyards and have a few ideas on these. Rough road sections and wall sections will also follow, the idea being that the more terrain I build myself the more I can spend on the figures!





4 comments:

  1. Good idea to have it sit in the middle of 28mm / 40mm. I think height gives enough presence to disguise a small footprint. I very much like the rustic look that the plaster is giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, it's still BIG! But the footprint is around the same as the 28mm church made by Tablescape. So far so good, as you might recall my first attempt ended up in the bin after quite a few hours work, I think this is more promising.

      Delete
  2. It's always a problem deciding on the scale of buildings. For my 20mm stuff the 28mm buildings are way too big so I'm using 1/72. The are they wrong of course in terms of ground scale but the look of things is important to me. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, yes, it's a common solution to drop down a scale and works well in most cases, but in 40mm I think it's more obvious if the doors etc are not large enough for the figures to pass through!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.