Tuesday 12 June 2018

Down but not out in Spain!

Life has been quite eventful since my last blog post here, and indeed this one has little to do with model soldiers, having not lifted a paint brush since then, but for completeness sake I thought an update was in order.

Just over two weeks ago I was struck down with the worst throat infection I can remember, so bad that even drinking water became painful, let alone eating. I spent four solid days in bed mostly sleeping before it finally began to ease up. I then woke up with an incredibly painful left knee. That spread to my right knee and my right ankle and foot, I could not stand up or weight bear at all. Last Monday we went for a second viewing on a property -more on this later - my Daughter was driving us and when we arrived I was unable to get out of the car! The Estate Agent was shocked as he had met me a couple of weeks previous when I was fine, and indeed he urged me to go to the medical centre for treatment.

We drove back to Calpe, picked up my medical card and passport and off to the medical centre where I was helped into a wheelchair and into the waiting room. Having completed the paperwork, within 20 minutes I was in with the Doctor who asked me to remove my 'pantaloons' (not an easy process in that state I can tell you). I spent half an hour so on an intravenous drip and left with my left knee heavily bandaged and a prescription, I was in and out within an hour or so.

It's now a week since my trip to the Doctor and my legs are slowly regaining strength, very slowly, still hobbling but able to stand and move about. I should just add that I have never had any problems with my legs before, indeed as my wife reminded me I have not been to hospital at all in at least 40 years so this came right out of the blue. Positive side is that I have shed over a stone in weight and I intend to work on my fitness going forward.

I have been spending a lot of time reading blogs and I'm really keen to get painting again. The 40mm Napoleonics are now in Kent ready to make the journey to Spain by van in due course. I also have the 'Tank Wars' German and Soviet starter sets with my Son in Law in Kent, as I'm itching to paint some armour again.

On the plus side we are loving life in Spain, the Spanish people are so friendly, warm and sociable. You notice how if you are sitting in a cafe or bar for example and a Spanish couple come in they will come and sit on the table beside you and immediately begin smiling and speaking to you - our rudimentary Spanish is getting us by! The seafood is fantastic,being the staple diet of this stretch of the Costa Blance coastline. You can still smoke in bars and cafes -although we avoid it - and dogs are welcome just about anywhere. Parking is mostly free of charge even along the popular beaches, and on Sunday everything closes as families take the opportunity to relax together. Children are encouraged to speak to people and be confident. What I have not been able to find is a bar selling English draught ales... yet. Every small town has it's grow shop as the cultivation of cannabis for personal use is legal here in Valencia region. Healthcare is good, expats we have spoken to tell us they get two medical screening sessions per year free of charge. Not saying it's the land of milk and honey, but certainly life in Spain is suiting us well, now I just need to recover the use of my legs again!

I hope the next update will feature some painted figures finally, please bear with me!








13 comments:

  1. Sorry to read of your recent medical problems. I assume that it was a virus that caused the symptoms, but it sounds as if the treatment is dealing with it.

    Over twenty years ago I came down with what I thought was 'flu, but it wasn't. I carried on working, even though I was by no means well enough to do so. I ended up getting home from work one day a week or so after the 'flu started, and going to bed ... where I slept for nearly two days. When I tried to get up my legs wouldn't initially take my weight and I had a blinding headache. My wife took me to our doctors, and after numerous tests I was diagnosed with contracting a virus that had affected my nervous system. I ended up off work for six months, and unable to work full-time for six months after that.

    It sounds as if you sought medical advice much earlier than I did, and thus should speed up your recovery no end. Please it easy, get well, and I'm sure you'll be 100% fit again in no time.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob, good to hear from you. Reading through your comment there it does sound similar to what has happened to me. I thought I was over the worst when my throat eased up, but waking up unable to stand up was a bit of a shock and within a couple of days it had attacked both legs, knees and ankles, my wife was extremely worried. My legs are now getting stronger each day, but it's left me very weak and tired.Hopefully the virus is done with me now! Thank you for the best wishes.

      Bob, re the 'Travel battle' sets .....you WILL get them! My son in law was at Hillview last weekend but left the box indoors. I'm going to email you his address and phone number so if you would wish to make the short journey to Snodland to collect them he could arrange to leave with a neighbour or side of house if he's at work?

      All the best,

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Yikes! One never knows what is going to happen and we easily forget how fragile our bodies can be. All the more reason to enjoy life hile we have it and it sounds like you are in a good place to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross, getting stronger by the day, but had me worried there for a few days. Enjoying life and looking forward to getting back to some painting again.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're coming out at the other end of the mysterious bug and that life in Spain certainly seems to suit. Though plenty of news in your post, one word in particular jumps out ……. Armour! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I have a yearning to do a Soviet/German winter project, something new to me and a challenging paint job.

      Delete
  4. Onwards and upwards...

    W.r.t beer.. this was quite interesting... https://www.tripsavvy.com/beer-in-spain-1643382

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there Steve! Subject of beer, that was an interesting read and in line with my experience so far. The Estrella is popular and OK to cool down on a hot day, but I find it bland. The Irish pubs are as numerous as the grow shops, one in every town, but they only sell Guinness plus the usual lagers. Had a couple of pints of Guinness and it is as good as in the UK. Even where you might find an 'English' pub it only tends to sell the likes of John Smiths Extra Smooth on tap and I'll pass on that thank you :(

      That link was interesting, as was this one I found the other day, The Fat Owl brewery are actively trying to establish real ale in this part of Spain. http://www.theleader.info/2017/02/18/real-ale-comes-spain/

      The search continues!

      Delete
  5. Good grief, Lee - I'm glad you are getting better, but have you any idea what the knee problem was? Not looking to pry into your health, dear boy, but that sort of joint problem doesn't sound too handy. Have you seen any brightly coloured snakes around, or little men with blowpipes and poison darts? For goodness sake look after yourself, or we'll send the patrol out to see you.

    All the very best - Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tony, and thank you for the message. It's a virus that has attacked the joints, at one point it took both my wife and my Daughter to get me upright, and that was painful! I can stand unaided now and walk around with a bit of a hobble, As said above never had any problems with my knees before so it came as a bit of a shock. Still could be worse so I won't whinge.

      Delete
  6. Crikey, 'Lee, all that sounded rather alarming. I'm very glad to hear you're coming right again.
    I saw your absolutely wonderful Hinchliffe ECW collection while I was visiting the UK a few weeks ago. The new custodian iss very, very pleased with them, and rightly so. They're terrific.
    All the best
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Matt, cheers for the good wishes. I'm really pleased that you got to see the ECW collection, I could not have passed them on to a more enthusiastic man :)

      Delete
  7. Well that sounds like you've been having an interesting time,but not in a good way! Glad to hear you're getting better, take it easy and I look forward to seeing painted figures all in good time.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.