Wednesday 20 June 2018

Safe arrival & getting stronger!

On Friday my youngest Son in Law finished a four week work contract back in the UK, picked up my 40mm figures and caught the 5.30am train Saturday morning from Folkestone to Calais before driving the 1000 miles down into Spain for a weeks holiday. All arrived in good condition and yesterday I started what is going to be the slow and careful job of unboxing. Great care has obviously been taken in the packing, with each individual figure/base being wrapped in bubble wrap and taped. I will probably have to be patient for another week or so until we hopefully get the keys to our new home, but here are a few photos from the first couple of small boxes, including Highland command base, some Spanish infantry and a few of the 60th Rifles. The standard bearers of the 3rd Regiment of Foot (The Buffs) also emerged from the top of the second box, and I was immediately reminded that my own Grandfather served four years with the Buffs in the 1914 -18 war, being sent to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force. I have a copy of his Attestation papers saved on my laptop. No doubt the Napoleonic Buffs will take pride of place in my display cabinet. These figures are prefect for Sharp Practice rules and I do intend to use them.

The new house is far more modest than the large rustic property we initially went for but had to let go due to legal search results. It's in a gated terrace of just 6 houses on a hillside overlooking Gandia and the Mediterranean and has a lovely shared infinity type pool. We are due to visit the Notary next Wednesday with our excellent Spanish Lawyer to sign the deeds and complete the purchase, we can't wait.

I'm up and about again, but it's left me feeling very tired, it's clearly going to take some time to fully recover from what was a nasty virus, but I'm happy to be able to walk properly again.

Getting to grips with my new Cannon camera so pics not great, but working on it!

Got them at last!

All are 40mm Sash & Sabre.





60th Rifles, have a dozen of them so 2 x 6 Sharp Practice skirmish units.


Flags are printed onto cloth.

13 comments:

  1. Exciting times, and lovely figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, bit scary, but so glad we did it. Still unpacking the figures!

      Delete
  2. What a joy - and linen flags too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figures!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good looking figures and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Iain, they have been well worth waiting for.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm very happy with them Steve. Still no draught real Ale yet, but Daughter did manage to find cans of IPA and Ruddles in Iceland here! The IPA was lovely with slight chill in the fridge, best in 11 weeks so far :)

      Delete
  7. Glad they have gone to a good home- packing them was all my wife Carole's hard work .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.