Saturday 26 May 2018

Getting back in the swing.

A bit more progress on the 4 Highlanders today, spent an hour working on the kilts but still far from happy. I wanted to give an impression of the 92nds tartan that will also tie in with the 12 figures already painted by Andy. Where the yellow lines cross there appears to be a central dot with lighter square around it but it's really hard to achieve and I may need to start again! I think the pattern is too large anyway and needs more lines, closed up a bit so back to the drawing board it is. I must have painted loads of kilts in the past in scales from 28mm down to 6mm, these are far more demanding, but I'm enjoying having a brush in my hand again. Going to pull up a few past images of Highlanders I have painted for reference.

Just can't get those kilts right!

The trusty old paint box.

Nice view from the table and plenty of light.


The wooden palette was from a craft shop here, I will lay dampened greaseproof paper over it to create a wet palette effect.

Coming along despite the tartan. Muskets, socks and gaiters to be tackled next and more work on the head bands.
It's 25 degrees here today, so I'm sitting inside in the cool, I notice how quickly the paint dries up once out the tube so I'm returning to the trusty old wet pallete. Next week I hope to visit a Vallejo stockist in Valencia when we are there to open our Bank Account, there are two listed in Valencia.

*EDIT - since posting the above I have taken the tartans back to a base shade of dark green and dug up these couple of images - my own Victrix plastic Highlanders from 2010 - and I'm going to use these as a guide, I think the blue pattern over dark green and bold yellow works well as an Impression of the 92nd tartan, at least it will do for me! I sold all these off years ago, really did not like the flimsy plastic and kept breaking the bayonets.







8 comments:

  1. Nice work Lee
    You are inspiring me to go to 28mm Napoleonics
    I have a box or two in the loft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) In retrospect this was a bit of a weak post, half painted figures! But I was probably trying to inspire myself to keep going on them. THis afternoon I have taken the kilts back to a flat green, ink washed the faces followed by new highlights and washed red ink into the shade areas of the uniform coats and re painted much of the white cross belts, loops etc. They already look much better. Now to try the tartans again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think with kilts it's better to go for an impression rather than try to get the detail precise, or maybe I'm just lazy! I'm sure these will look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently on kilt repaint number 3, as you say it's more of an impression and looks a bit better. Wont be long before Andy's figures will be here so might leave that final impression to then and copy his painting!

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain! My DK highlanders are firmly on the bottom of the lead-pile until I've got my painting eye back in. Although I may wait until someone invents tartan paint.

    Cheers

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have painted tartan in 6mm, 15, 20mm and 28mm but these 40mm kilts are a right bugger!

      Delete
  5. Lee you light dragoons have turned up. Now all I have to do is organise shipping to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. Let me know what you have in mind and when so that I confirm someone will be in to sign for them please. I think this will be the most risky part of the journey, those bayonets are pretty fragile! Whats the best shipping option, I'll cover it so lets use a good one? My son in law will take good care of the package rest of the 1000 mile journey.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.