Tuesday 15 May 2018

Highlander customs!

I mentioned in my last post that I was itching to get started on painting some 40mm Napoleonics, but have to wait until June 15th when my Son In Law drives our furniture from the UK to our new house in Spain and the Sash & Saber collection will be coming with him for safety.

This weekend our eldest daughter is coming out for a couple of weeks and it struck me that maybe she could bring a few of packs of unpainted 40mm's out with her. What's coming will be French Chasseur A Cheval, British gun and Foot artillery crew and Highlanders. I have checked the restrictions on what can be carried in hand luggage as Hannah will be travelling with hand luggage only, having left a suitcase full of stuff here previously, and I know the rules on sharp objects but feel sure that a few bags of toy soldiers can pose no threat surely? Sure, the Highlanders have sharp bayonets but are within packaging and she can just explain that they are for her Dad to paint. I don't think toy soldiers have ever been involved in serious crime so should be OK!

Any thoughts on this chaps? One has to be careful these days and customs are so understandably tight. I want to bring the 92nd Highlanders up to full strength to begin with.

13 comments:

  1. Good to see that despite all the energy and stress that such a big house move brings, your enthusiasm for the new project is under full steam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've travelled with toy soldiers and never had a problem before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will be fine CK, we shall see on Sunday morning.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine for a minute it would be a problem.... can they not be posted as well???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could be posted Steve, but the main package we prefer to have bought out in the van... just in case.These few packs should be fine in my Daughters hand luggage I'm sure, It's larger heavier pointy objects that seem not to be allowed in the cabin. Looking ahead I'll be ordering more from Andy at Old Glory UK and he will be posting them directly to Spain once we are in our permanent new address.

      Delete
  4. I did once have some hassle over a 54mm fortress gun in my carry on since it was a compact two pounds of metal. The hand to hand value of HEAVY artillery hadn't really occurred to me but all was well and I was allowed to bring my new toy home with me..

    I was more amused on another occasion when a confused security clerk called a supervisor over and I over heard "it looks like horses" luckily when they asked me to open the bag the painted cavalry were charming enough to pass muster and were present for the game at the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, just goes to show. I was surprised to read that you can take ice skates in hand luggage, now they do have potential to become a weapon with those long blades, so my soldiers should be OK!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure it will be fine, but consider (in theory) the security risks. For all they know, your daughter may be planning to get all the children on the flight to chew the things. It is worth thinking about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't Tony, you know I have anxiety issues :) A bag of 20 x 40mm Highlanders would also make a hefty missile, and those bayonets are quite long and sharp. The Chasseurs are in kit form, separate sword arms so no worries there and the 6lb gun has no sharp edges! Andy has thrown in a freebie bag of Highlander flank co.... more bayonets.

      Delete
  6. Cheers Stu Rat, certainly no replica guns/toys, but your point about the petty bureaucrat was precisely what I had in the back of my mind. Love the story re the Action Man guns, that really is taking things a bit too far, but in this mad World today ........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you've got lots of enthusiasm for your new project, you'd hope that there wouldn't be a problem with toy soldiers, I've only travelled with them in the hold and the worst that would happen would be them staying at a UK airport and you'd collect them for a small fee,i only know this because I tried to board with a multi tool including various knives,it was only a cheap one so I let them destroy it,the t were very nice about it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, we shall see on Sunday morning if the Highlanders can advance through Gatwick customs. I'm going to send my Daughter a note with a couple of images of painted examples to show the nice security officer checking the bags.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.