Tuesday 22 May 2018

Safe arrival in Spain of the 92nd Highlanders!

Well, they made it through UK customs in my eldest Daughters hand luggage or 'carry on' and I can happily report that 4 of the Sash and Sabre 40mm Highlander centre company figures are about 50% painted already. The security officer checking the bags said " You have a lot of Jewellery in this bag?", my Daughter replied that they were actually Toy Soldiers for her Dad who paints and collects them. He laughed and apparently went through each bag of figures individually, Hannah said he appeared quite interested in them and they passed through with no problem.

These figures are bloody BIG, the horses are beautiful castings I can barely wait to paint some but I'll stick to my plan of starting by painting more 92nd Highlanders to expand the existing 12 painted figures. They are going to take time to paint so I won't be rushing them but simply enjoying working on them, maybe 4 figures per week max. I managed a few hours today, current headcount here is 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters, plus 1 wife, both son in laws back in the UK working. They have all been out viewing properties in the Gandia region (it's a long story, bit of a hitch involving water supply and dodgy septic tanks, I'll probably fill you in later), but suffice to say I have enjoyed a quiet days painting probably for the first time in weeks.

Can't share photos as my camera battery is flat and I can't find the charger, but the Highlanders are coming along. Having a quiet G&T on the terrace before they all get back.

5 comments:

  1. Ah excellent- glad you got them safely . As for airports I have had similar experiences-when the security guy at Newcastle upon seeing my hand luggage X-ray opined to his colleague
    "Ow Geordie Come and see hear . These look like little men" I then also had to do the unpacking thing ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess model soldiers are bit of an unusual thing to be taking on board a plane Andy, my daughter said the guy seemed to take quite an interest in these.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee - glad the Highlanders arrived - so does your comment mean that the house you were getting has fallen through??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, it's in the balance, I'm holding off the selling agent while we view a few more properties with 'certificate of habitation' mains water and sewage, but less rural.Learning a lot about house buying in Spain, an agent can charge buyers a fee too as well as the sale fee, in this case over 5000 Euros! Now working with an English agent - 20 years in Spain - no buyers fee at all, everything included in sale price. The Turis house is under very strict 'Town Hall' control and there is little you can do to improve the house or land, indeed should the house burn down for example you might not get permission to rebuild! All too much of a risk.

      Delete
  3. Good news about the figures, hope it works out with the house, it's bad enough buying one in the UK!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.