- Raise the hedge/bocage height from 30mm to 60mm. This has required the purchase of a further 8 bags of tree clump foliage, bringing total to no less than 12 bags used so far (£1.70 per bag). I'm pinning the new foliage on with cocktail sticks, once done all will be given a spray of mid green and then highlighted once dry. Bases will be improved by adding stone around the bottom to give that 'bocage' like look.
- Remove the old smaller trees from the bases and use them to create a modular apple orchard which will also break up LoS.
- Purchase new taller/chunkier trees from S&A Scenics to create new woods.
- The cornfields will be given an additional layer to raise height to around 40mm which again breaks up LoS. I spent a lot of time thinking how best to do this as I was reluctant to start again, it suddenly struck me how simple this could be to do this by just adding layers and painting the top layer, from wargame distance it really does not notice much at all and looks far better :)
- Frame the table edge with pine, in order to allow those 'head on the table' LoS views I'm going to keep it just 50mm high, enough to stop me knocking figures off onto the floor and to look quite smart.
- MDF buildings. I just don't like the plastic ruined houses made by Warlord for BA, I have used them but can't find the enthusiasm to paint them. I always felt that the MDF buildings were really too big for 15mm being much more suitable for 20mm. By raising them on a 10mm plinth they scale up pretty well for 28mm and look so much better to my eye. I also intend to make small modular bases for the buildings, so that when a squad occupies such a base it is defending the base which offers 'hard cover' protection to those on it. This is a compromise between playing 'around' the buildings as allowed under BA rules, and physical occupation of the buildings, which can get fiddly, those on the base are in hard cover.
- River sections with banks also on the list.
|This will become an apple orchard with removable tree sections.|
|An unpainted extra mat layer added to raise the crop field height.|
|Work in progress.|
|The house bases under construction.|
|Sherman's coming along, I have plans to weather and further detail these. They still feel more like 'big toys' though.|
|The horrid plastic commanders will be replaced with metal Warlord crew.|
|I know that I already have my German command figure but I just could not resist this portly chap! What a character, I broke my own rule and paid £4.00 for him, but he will paint up beautifully as do all of the Warlord castings.|