Between Monday to Friday this last week I managed to paint 50 more Prussians, a 10 figure infantry base per day, good going even for me! With the base featured a week ago this now makes up 5 points towards the 1813 DBN army, 1 point each for the line infantry and 1/2 point each for the Landwehr bases.
I think this output was fuelled by events of last Sunday when I had reason to drive into Maidstone from Rochester to drop off some essential baby supplies to my youngest daughter (Daisy's Mum) for whom we are their support bubble (child under 1 year). It's only a 15 minute drive but to say that I was staggered by the amount of traffic on the roads and the numbers of people walking about is an understatement. It certainly did not feel like the middle of a lockdown, far from it, and as one who has worked really hard at sticking to the covid rules since this pandemic began it really shocked me. In Maidstone I saw a group of at least a dozen older teenagers sitting on a wall with cans of beer just around the corner from the Police Station. When I got back home I felt somewhat depressed, and decided to do what I always do when feeling like that, paint it out of my system. So I set myself a goal for the week ahead of 50 figures in five days.
The figures are all AB's painted at some speed in my tried and tested method. I have included details of the painting method below and a shot of the limited (wet) palette used. I tried to lighten the Litewkas of the Landwehr somewhat compared to the line uniforms. I'm guessing around 3 hours per base split into a couple of sessions, the Prussians are easier to paint than the British and French due to having less lace and plain covered shakos. Should add that flags are printed from the Warflags site and may not be accurate in terms of unit facings etc.
The Prussians will initially form a 12 point army and expand to 18 points:
4 bases of line infantry (Line muskets)
4 bases of Landwehr (Militia muskets)
2 bases of 'reservists' (Militia muskets)
2 bases of Jagers.
1 base of Kuirassiers (no armour).
2 bases of heavy cavalry (Dragoons)
2 bases of Landwehr cavalry (Militia lancers)
2 Foot artillery.
Command base & baggage base.
These are all AB figures that I have in my drawer apart from the baggage piece. I think I must add a couple of bases of Hussars to the above and maybe a couple more line infantry which will give me some variation.
Black base coat, Prussian dark blue jacket highlighted by adding a touch of Azure blue. Medium grey trousers and overcoat roll, facings, white belts, light brown flesh base with sunny skin tone highlights, flat brown musket stocks and packs, steel barrels with silver added for bayonets, brass for sword hilts, scabbard ends and cartridge box plates, and black/grey highlights to shako cover, gaiters and cartridge boxes, flat green bases. Varnish is my standard Satin and all the above are Vallejo. using small dabs of each on the wet palette allows any correction to be made without needing any fresh paint, the method is pretty quick and effective.