Wednesday 20 February 2019

'A plethora of Eagles' ..... the 40mm French army on parade!

Here is the 40mm French army so far, parading together for the first time following a dusting session! 195 figures in total, 5 battalions of infantry, a skirmish screen of 16 voltiguers, two artillery pieces with 10 crew and 3 x 8 figure squadrons of light cavalry, the elite squadron and 1st squadron of the 2nd Hussars, plus a squadron the 4th Chasseurs. I do plan to reduce the size of the mounted command bases as they are a bit long. The infantry battalions are each of 24 rank and file plus 4 foot command and a mounted Colonel.



I do plan to add more cavalry and want to add a Swiss battalion to the collection this year ( a British formed light battalion is planned first though after the cavalry). The flags are just what I found on the net, more research will possibly be required before I order replacements from GMB in due course for that finishing touch.













Now, if only I could find the enthusiasm to build the terrain for them. This is most inspiring:

https://metal-mercenaries.blogspot.com/2019/02/40mm-napoleonic-salute-best-of-show-2016.html


8 comments:

  1. Really lovely and a good idea to have the parade video’d :-) a Swiss battalion would add a lovely splash to all of that.

    As for buildings, as lovely as the big stuff looks, I wonder whether the thought of dropping a scale (i.e. 28mm buildings) would be the most functional, both from footprint and availability considerations. I have some 28’s and have been collection some 20mm (1/72) resin buildings for the reasons outlined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, I had enough figures left over to create an 8 figure Swiss unit plus officer, sufficient for Sharp Practice which is where I intend to begin.They will be expanded to a full battalion in due course.

      As for the buildings, yes I am considering 28mm, maybe on a plinth to add a little more height. But I will attempt to scratchbuild a couple of (underscale) Spanish style building to begin with as I have the materials and the time on my hands to do so. I have a cunning idea for the distinctive rook tiles.

      Delete
  2. Lovely... must be time for the Old Guard to appear?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. No Old Guard in the Peninsular I was told, but that won't stop me things expand. Meantime my units do have Grenadiers in bearskins :)

      Delete
  3. Great looking force and I echo Norms call that 28mm terrain might well be the way to go, otherwise it will be enormous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I'm planning to begin with Sharp Practice, large skirmish rules, so I agree reduced scale buildings or they will look a bit silly on a 6 x 4 table. The figures are based on 28mm scale bases, 20mm wide, so the footprint of the battalions is not that large, just the vertical scale.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.