Yesterday afternoon I painted the first unit of 'Pike Heavy' foot by way of a change from the standard units. Of course, not all units achieved the idea ratio of 2 muskets to 1 pike, especially early on when the scramble began to equip the newly raised armies. Parliament had the 'Trayned Bands' in London plus control of the Tower of London where arms were stored, but the pike remained a formidable weapon in close combat.
This unit required a good bit of cutting and trimming, especially the muskets but all turned out well once painted and assembled I think.10 pikes and just 8 muskets on the base so they get an additional dice in melee combat and minus 1 dice when shooting, all of my foot units comprising 3 'blocks'. I need to add a little marker maybe although it's quite visually clear of the difference. I'd estimate the total painting time to be around 1.5 hours on this unit. I also could not resist painting the first heavy cannon.
![]() |
| Standard unit at Left, Pike Heavy at Right. |
The rules: The rules can be downloaded for free from Tony's site link below, the quality of the booklet that he produced is most excellent, he basically totally re typed the C&C book adapted for the English Civil War, a most impressive task that must have required huge dedication.
Foy's C&C based rules for the English Civil War.


Lee, I like the Pike-Heavy look! Thanks for the basing ideas you're forwarding here - if I follow through with a similar project, you're making my task all the easier.
ReplyDeleteDave S. - here in the Midwest USA