Friday, 28 August 2026

More ECW troops, new hex mat and 3D C&C dice!

 Right then, I now have a clear vision of what I want to do with this project. I have been re-watching the 1980's TV series 'By the Sword Divided'  and I'm really enjoying the nostalgia, the formation of 'Lacey's Troop of Horse' in their mix of old arms and equipment ("We shall wear Burgonets") is really well done I think. 

eBay has allowed me to add to my growing pile of Pike & Shotte sprues, I won an auction for a box of cavalry, 3 sprues which includes Horse in a mix of  equipment and headgear and even has 2 Cuirassiers as well as Mounted and dismounted Dragoons and some Forlorn Hope musketeers. Great value. I painted the first base of horse yesterday morning, I wanted 6 per base but could only fit 5 on the 60mm base. I also painted another Regt of Foot yesterday! I also won the excellent set of 5 Royalist Generals, a great personality set, especially Prince Rupert  with 'Boy' at his feet. I'm finding that I can pick up individual infantry sprues for just £7.99 with free postage which is great as I can get 5 units of Pike & Shot each of 18 figures from 2 sprues so excellent value.

I also purchased another set of C&C dice from Etsy which arrived within a week and are great quality, I dislike the very heavy chunky set which comes with the game although I do still have a nice wooden set given to me by Tony/'Foy' a good 10 or more years ago now. This new set are 3D printed with nice strong graphics and rounded edges that roll well, I paid £15.00 for the set of 8 dice which included postage, I'll drop the link in here: C&C Dice 



All bases are 60mm  x 25mm.


Prince Rupert & Boy (Right).


THE BOARD - After a LOT of thought I decided that the easiest way to get a dedicated playing board for ECW C&C was going to be another purchase from Rollingmats of Spain because although I have two already I wanted one minus the edging graphics which are period specific. So I have ordered the one you see below with 75mm hex grid plain black borders but minus the heavy red sector lines as offered as an option. It's worth mentioning here that the customer service is excellent and a reply to my email was answered next day in a very friendly way basically saying they print nay size of hex grid you want with or without border graphics or red lines delivery is estimated mid September so plenty of time to get more troops ready!


 Here's progress so far on the troops, I'm thinking I could also do a few 'Pike Heavy' units down the line with fewer muskets ( better in close combat, less shooting power).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.