Monday 26 February 2024

George Armstrong Custer (x2) !

I'm just over half way through another batch of 60 mounted Plains Indians which will be finished by Friday. Over the weekend I spent some time painting these two lovely models of Custer for Mark and tried to capture the spirit of the man as best as I could. In the mounted version we is wearing a fringed buckskin jacket and dismounted he is wearing the US Cavalry shirt and has lost his hat in the heat of battle. I think the sculpt captures the desperate situation of the 'Last Stand' very well. Currently unvarnished as I'm just waiting for Mark's feedback ( black hat possibly?) but these are painted as a little thank you for the commission. 

George Armstrong Custer. 1839 - 1876. 20mm scale figures.





Since starting this commission I have been watching a lot of YouTube content on the subject as I paint. Two videos in particular have stuck in my mind and I would like to share them here.

The first is a superb presentation by the Little Big Horn Battlefield guide, I thought that the chap did a great job of bringing the history to life, everything a tour guide should be in my opinion.


The second is somewhat more controversial. The theory that Custer might have taken his own life in a final moment of desperation to avoid capture has long been around, but the official account has always been that he died from Indian gunshot wounds. I stumbled across this compelling film some time back which features evidence from the surgeon who rode with the 7th Cavalry and small arms historians who suggest  that the  bullet in the temple could only have come from a rare Colt revolver issued to just a few people including Custer. It is a fascinating background listen whilst painting.




 


6 comments:

  1. Nice sculpts and good to have both mounted and dismounted. Never heard of the suicide theory before - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video makes a great background listen Norm and the evidence presented is quite compelling although not entirely conclusive.

      Delete
  2. This commission is really turning into something impressive - the games it's going to provide will be brilliant. BTW why the grey shirt for Custer? When not depicted in his buckskin jacket he's usually wearing a blue cavalry blouse like: https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Churms-Fine-Art-Prints/dp/B07KQLDZY1. The piping would make him stand out even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Rob, I will run it by Mark with a view to repainting the shirt. You may have also solved another slight issue regarding the bridle! Might be worth another short blog post :)
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Really interesting Lee, since this is not a period that I have studied in any detail (it did not get past playing with Timpos as a young fella).
    As well as your usual beautiful painting, I was taken that you too like to 'watch' (listen) to related content while painting. I refer to it as paintertainment. I gather that we are not alone in this either. I tend to vary between video and audio-only (even nothing at all, especially if only time for a brief painting session or I really need to focus on getting something done). Generally with video an occasional glance at the screen is sufficient and the audio is enough to know what is going on—and, arguably, one picks up more by solely listening.
    A bit of a digression, but inspired by your post!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James and thanks for your comment.
      I find it helps concentration to have something to listen to in the background, and as you say the occasional glance up is sufficient to follow the content. I really can't paint in silence!
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.