Sunday 5 November 2023

The Portable Ancient Wargame.

This has been a quick alternative project for my ancient armies, a small flexible set up for Bob Cordery's Ancient rules published in his book Developing The Portable Wargame. I started with 12 laser cut tiles of 3mm MDF, 150mm x 150mm and marked them up in 50mm square grid. I drilled out the central grid square which is all I need to identify the grid clearly after painting. Everything got a thin coat of Vallejo Earth Texture and was then painted using Vallejo Flat Green thinned slightly with water. Roads and rivers were added from tile grout then painted, I wanted to avoid using flocks etc for this project. finally (for now) I dabbed a flat green/yellow mix all over to add a little brightness but may need to go a little further later. Must say for a fast and furious stand alone project I'm rather pleased and it cost so little, the tiles coming in at just £1.45 per tile and with paint etc no more than £2.00 per tile.

The game can be played on a 9x9 grid (or even 8x8) but I prefer this 12x9 battlefield. I may well add further tiles to allow more flexibility in the layout. The roads are more for effect than anything so can be ignored or utilised. 

My 3mm Celts had a run out on the grid to see they look when deployed.







6 comments:

  1. Very effective and impressed with the road and river - a good look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice set-up you have there Lee 👏👏
    And, for those sad individuals like me, you can even colour the wooden storage boxes with wood stain, for that “vintage” look 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Your pretty bloody good with all this teeny tiny stuff. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I have been pondering these rules recently, and I look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid idea, nicely executed!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.