Monday 9 January 2023

Some very small Romans!

 Happy New Year to you all. 

This a quick photo update to show my latest crazy idea/project! I stumbled across these fine 3mm (yes 3mm, not 6mm or 2mm) castings and immediately had visions of what could be done with them. The challenge was more than I could resist and so I'm now painting my way through two armies, Early Imperial Romans v Britons on 15mm scale DBA bases. It was immediately apparent that 2mm thick MDF bases were not going to work for me so I went with thin plastic that should sit better in the terrain. What I have in mind here is a truly portable game with a 2 x 2 board that folds in half and armies and terrain that all sit in neat little boxes. Who knows where the madness will end?

Romans so far, army will be (DBA) 5x Blades inc.1 General, 4x Auxilia, 1x Artillery, 1x cav and 1x light horse.






The figures are sold by Magister Militum (UK) and are amazingly detailed for such tiny sculpts.


 


9 comments:

  1. With the 3 foot rule, they do an excellent job. The new Lardy ancients rules for small scales may be of interest, I saw on a blog the other day that someone tried them with15mm, though they look designed for 2mm type scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. You mention the forthcoming lardy rules 'Strength and Honour', I watched/listened to 7 Lardy made videos yesterday while painting and they do sound very interesting, the kind of rules even I could learn to play :) Well worth a watch Norm and designed for 2mm scale troops which are all available from Warbases (Antioine Miniatures ?). A fascinating sounding game system and very tempting.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuttulDJMY
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff Lee 👏👏 As it is, I’m already committed to 2mm as my “smaller scale” - although I do have figures in 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25/28mm scales. The 3mm figures are lovely, but there just isn’t enough variety to cover all armies/periods. Irregular Miniatures - to their credit - do have significant 2mm ranges to cover just about everything you could want in 2mm.
    I look forward to seeing your completed army - and their British opponents too. Then it’s time to get ‘em on the tabletop and start fighting battles.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there ‘Lee,

    Lovely looking models old chap! They really have the ‘feel’ of massed ranks of troops. I have looked at these in the past and may well have to revisit them!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, always a pleasure to hear from you. The 3mm's are fine little models and I had no idea they even existed until I stumbled across them recently!
      Lee.

      Delete
  4. The figures are indeed well sculpted for such tiny figures, but your painting has taken them to a vastly higher level. Astounding, truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for those comments John :) Soon as I saw them I knew they would prove to be an enjoyable challenge!
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Ok I’m speechless 🤪😁 I don’t know how you do it but these look great. Good luck on the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me laugh that Graham :) They just scream out for a quick paint job!
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.